FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Default Gallatin steam plant

I want to fish here some. I know nothing about it and since new to boats I am a bit intimidated. I would like to ask for a ride with someone when they are headed that way. I could either just follow in my boat or ride along with you. I just hate to put people out. I just do not want to screw up out there on my first trip. I am pretty open most of the time during the week.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 PM

I may try to head out Fri morning long as my honey do list is all done. The only concern you really have coming in there from the main river channel. When you make the turn make sure you are past the rock island a bit and slow down as the sand bar is only about 3 ft deep. Once past that you are pretty safe. Once you learn the sand bar area its easy to get in and out. I come in at times on full plane w a 21 ft Triton and 225 hp motor and don't hit bottom at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Fisher of men

It's not that bad getting in, I come in on plane between the 2nd and 3rd green buoys coming from the flippers side. It's where the old channel came out. Stay Away from the 3rd buoy that's where the old island and rocks are. Also make sure you trolling motor battery is fully charged because fighting the current can drain it quick. Also a one more note, please idle through the channel if there is any other boats, I know this should be obvious but I fish there all winter and it never fells that someone comes by at half throttle and nearly runs everyone else on the bank. PM me sometime and maybe we can meet up and go.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 PM

I'll be there in the morning (thurs 12/6) in my kayak. The rock pile you need to watch for should be exposed, and someone took the kindness to mark it with a pole that has surveyor flags on it. If you see me (blue kayak with about 6 rods sticking up in the air), feel free to come up (slowly, please) and say hi. Actually, that goes for everyone...I'll be there twice or more weekly, and have no problem sharing info or just shooting the breeze.

Chris
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Fisher of men

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnative View Post
I'll be there in the morning (thurs 12/6) in my kayak. The rock pile you need to watch for should be exposed, and someone took the kindness to mark it with a pole that has surveyor flags on it. If you see me (blue kayak with about 6 rods sticking up in the air), feel free to come up (slowly, please) and say hi. Actually, that goes for everyone...I'll be there twice or more weekly, and have no problem sharing info or just shooting the breeze.

Chris
Your right about the rocks the lake was down about a foot on Monday. I have a 18' 96 model Procraft with a 150 merc, feel free to give me a shout if ya see me also.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM

I am not sure the lake is down so much as I have heard a there is a new guy in charge (TVA?) and that is going to be the new lake level now. I had heard this was due to the flood and to give them more play room if that happens again. But yes the rock island is very exposed ATM. And I agree with the idling thru the channel. I have no idea how many times I have been drifting and someone comes zipping past me. While I'm in a bigger boat and don't worry about the waves from it, it is just plain out obnoxious.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 PM

I agree with all of the other posts. No need to be intimidated about the steam plant. It is a big community hole with no real secrets. Lots of ways to catch fish, but it can get packed with boats and as long as you take it slow, most people are very nice. DO NOT run on a plane in the canal or you will make enemies fast!

If you are passing other anchored boats, their lines are usually downstream so pass off to the side. Most people will not anchor in the middle of the canal as it makes it hard for other boats to pass. Also don't try to anchor up just downstream of another boat. You will be setting up on their lines. Just find an open area on either side of the canal if you want to anchor.

You can also trolling motor and cast to the shore, bass fishing style, if you want. It is a good way to learn the area.

Right now the fish are not packed in the canal so you can fish all around the area and find something biting. The bluffs opposite the canal can be good as can most shoreline wood all the way down to Flippers.

It is a pretty good time to learn the canal as it is not packed like in the coldest part of the winter.

Always have some type of skipjack rig on one rod. Double white crappie-sized jigs are hard to beat. Reel them fast and erratic and you will catch skippies. They are a lot of fun to catch.

Other than that, almost every type of fish can be found in there so use whatever bait you like for whatever you like to catch and it could work.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Master Trout Magnet

I have not fished there since early 1970's...and that was from the bank. Do Gills hang around up in there during the winter? What is the usual water temp in there during winter?

Regards
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Fisher of men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
I have not fished there since early 1970's...and that was from the bank. Do Gills hang around up in there during the winter? What is the usual water temp in there during winter?

Regards
Yes, I caught several trying to catch crappie on minnow this week. Temp stays 60-68 during the winter depending where (boils or mouth) you are and the lake temp.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Default Could someone show me where to go in?

Here is the map I found
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steam Plant.jpg (168.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdkxtreme View Post
Here is the map I found
Cool! That is a map I made for a project for my company. Nice to see people finding it.

Here is a marked up pic to show you the canal.

The little rock island with the red flagging sticking out of it is on the Flippers side of the canal right at the mouth. Stay upstream of it about 75 ft and you will be fine.

Jim
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM

thank you
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Gboyce....where you out there this past Monday in the white/silver Triton? If so, I was in the white/black Triton. Txnative, it was good talkin with you last Sunday and thanks for updating me on the happenings of the site lol.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM

I was there today (thurs 12/6) and spent all my time meat fishing. I caught 5 keeper crappie, biggest was 12", and 10 tilapia, biggest was 13". Gboyce, I appreciate the sauger. I also caught a few stripers, lm and spotted bass, several 'gills, and a drum. They all went back. Had a good time, and bring on the cold water temps.

Chris
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM

How does the bite change at the GSP after a day or night of rain? I may try to had out ther tomorrow around noonish.