FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Default Finally got a boat!

I've been banking fishing for years and when a friend has a boat out I can tag along sometimes.
Well my father in law told me about a jon boat he has had for 15 years behind his shed.
Come to find out he has NEVER put it in the water. So he was like well you can have it I never use it.
So I got a jon boat for free, my grandmother came down from MI to look at some houses so my grandparents can move down to TN. My grandfather bought a 40lb thrust trolling motor that doesn't fit on his boat and he gave it to my grandmother to give to me.
So now I have a boat and motor finally can hit some coves up I've wanted to fish all year but haven't had access too!!!

Oh ya my bro in law had an extra battery he gave me also for the motor lol

It's a start until my wife and I can buy a bass boat.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanconant View Post
I've been banking fishing for years and when a friend has a boat out I can tag along sometimes.
Well my father in law told me about a jon boat he has had for 15 years behind his shed.
Come to find out he has NEVER put it in the water. So he was like well you can have it I never use it.
So I got a jon boat for free, my grandmother came down from MI to look at some houses so my grandparents can move down to TN. My grandfather bought a 40lb thrust trolling motor that doesn't fit on his boat and he gave it to my grandmother to give to me.
So now I have a boat and motor finally can hit some coves up I've wanted to fish all year but haven't had access too!!!

Oh ya my bro in law had an extra battery he gave me also for the motor lol

It's a start until my wife and I can buy a bass boat.

Where do you fish? All I have is a small flat bottom with a trolling motor..
Old 08-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Congrats. A lot of the fishing population believe a big fast boat is necessary, and I agree it helps, but you'll be able to target pretty much every fish you want and in almost any area. I fish from a kayak and go everywhere from below old hickory dam for stripers to trolling open water on priest for hybrids to dale hollow at night for its famous smallies. I have a night time trip planned this weekend for dale hollow's lakeside rainbows.

I used to fish priest exclusively from a 14' trolling motor powered jonboat and caught tons of hybrids, best night was 50+ fish from 5-10 lbs. don't be afraid to venture out after open water fish, just be sure to be smart and have all necessary safety items and proper lights, registration, emergency gear, etc.

Chris
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
rookie

That is great advice txnative!! please ya'll for your safety and enjoyment heed the advice, hey KV, for all last year all i had was also a trolling motor and had no problem catching fish (well most of the time!!) it takes longer to get were you want to go but i learned the most of it and it can be better if i make it a journey rather than a destination, good luck fishing the new spots!!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM

Congrats! All im running is a trolling motor on my basstender.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Congrats!...
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 AM

less things in a jon boat to be fried ,broke ,burnt up,shorted out,spliced,jerry rigged,patched,wired up.Oh,I just gave You a decription of my piece of #$%&*!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Uh-Oh....

Looks like the flatbottom jons are catching up to the yaks in numbers around here.

Congrats on the boat. Any boat that floats and doesn't leak is a good one in my book. I used to fish out of a mortar box on a 5 gallon bucket in my neighbor's pond growing up. That wasn't very smart but hey kids don't do smart things.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 AM

I normally fish on the Hendersonville side of Old Hickory lake.
There is one spot close to Sanders Ferry RD I want to get to.
It's a cove where you have to be able to walk your boat for a bit before you drop it in.
Unless you have a gas powered that can travel for a bit to get to.
But some spots tend to get pretty shallow so bass boats would probably hit bottom.
I'm about to head out in a little bit and see what it brings.

Bank fishing I've caught some nice bit cats so hopefully in the cove I will get more.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanconant View Post
I normally fish on the Hendersonville side of Old Hickory lake.
There is one spot close to Sanders Ferry RD I want to get to.
It's a cove where you have to be able to walk your boat for a bit before you drop it in.
Unless you have a gas powered that can travel for a bit to get to.
But some spots tend to get pretty shallow so bass boats would probably hit bottom.
I'm about to head out in a little bit and see what it brings.

Bank fishing I've caught some nice bit cats so hopefully in the cove I will get more.
I'm a johnboat trolling motor only guy also. I have a few spots I go to that my trolling motor will let me get to. If you'd like to exchange a few spots pm me. Thank ya
Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Finally got it registered and trolling motor put on it and first night out jugging got 4 good size cats in about 1 1/2 hrs. Trying a new spot tonight to see what I can get.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
rookie

Congrats on those cats!!! looks like a good fish fry right there!!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM

My stepdad just told me a spot he used to catfish when I was younger and win Catfish tourneys all the time.
After 22 years I never knew he catfished lol I guess that's why I love it so much.
I'm going to try his secret spot tonight after work tonight and see if I can pull some out like he did.
He got a 25lb channel he said that almost put him in the lake himself. I'm willing to have that problem and not complain.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 AM

Check out Tinboats.com for some very good ideas for the smaller boats. I had a 14' jon also but these guys have some bigs plans on small budgets. They are very helpful also.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPD816 View Post
Check out Tinboats.com for some very good ideas for the smaller boats. I had a 14' jon also but these guys have some bigs plans on small budgets. They are very helpful also.
Maybe it's tinboats.net