FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Default In-line Spinners - Rooster Tails, Bluefox

Grew up using Rooster Tails, but notice that Bluefox are less costly and have heard some good things about them...anybody got any feelings one way or the other? I know that often times Mepps Aglia and Panther Martins enter the debate...I have lots of Panther Martins already. Thanks for any suggestions...also, someone mentioned that the Bass Pro line of rooster tails type baits are good, didn't they?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordty View Post
Grew up using Rooster Tails, but notice that Bluefox are less costly and have heard some good things about them...anybody got any feelings one way or the other? I know that often times Mepps Aglia and Panther Martins enter the debate...I have lots of Panther Martins already. Thanks for any suggestions...also, someone mentioned that the Bass Pro line of rooster tails type baits are good, didn't they?
I used Rooster Tails for years on Joe Wheeler. I did not know about plastic baits, jigs and a lot of other artificial baits. Probably caught more and larger fish on the Rooster Tails. Primary color was grey with black tail. Never had a lot of success on those other in line spinners.
I still have 50-75 Rooster Tails. Many are still in the pack. Maybe I should dig them out.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM

To me, the rooster tail is the gold standard of in-line spinners. On most days, they just seem to work the best.

There are times when the blue fox spinners really perform well though. When I spin fished more I would carry both (plus a few little cleo and super-duper spoons), and I would switch up until I found what was working the best on that day.

The spinner profile on the blue fox is a little different from the rooster tail. It could be a "match the hatch" issue depending on the size and type of baitfish the larger fish happen to be eating at the time.

One huge advantage of the blue fox spinners is that they don't twist line as badly due to the way they're made.

bd
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Blue fox spinners ... <'TK><

I have recently bought blue fox spinners .. mainly for the $$ difference compared to Roster tails ... I bought the (I think 5 card) #1 and #2 for gills and small bass in my pond ... They advertised a cupped spoon to make them run deeper ... Well I guess they run deeper is because they didn't spin no matter what speed you ran them at ?? What I did is take them into my shop ... and one swift pop with my ball pen ... which flattens them out ... They spin now with ease ... great bait and $$$ cheaper .... NOW !! LOL !!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM

The blue fox spinners that I always used were the Vibrax models like this one:

I'm not sure about the price difference vs. rooster tails but I never had a problem with the spinner turning.

Other models may perform differently; I don't know.

bd
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile vibrax <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
The blue fox spinners that I always used were the Vibrax models like this one:

I'm not sure about the price difference vs. rooster tails but I never had a problem with the spinner turning.

Other models may perform differently; I don't know.

bd
bd, These were not Vibrax .. The were nicely painted with gold spoons (no logo) I think they were just entry level lures that came 5 on a card .... On the back of the card it said made by Blue Fox ... Probably in a back room in China by kids ?? <'TK><
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Ben

Default Spinners

In my opinion Bang Tail Spinners by Luhr Jensen spank all competitors. Has a built in swivel to combat twisting line and you can feel the blade-Overstock has them half price.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM
jmull65

i went fishing on the duck the first time with my little john boat using a rooster tail just messing around and caught a lot of bream and a nice size bass swallowed the hook but got it out.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM
ShotgunShells

It's hard to beat the original Rooster Tail. I use a small swivel to eliminate line twist.