FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 PM

Default Bait tank?

My wonderful wife surprised me for my birthday. She said to go buy whatever bait tank I want to support my striper habit ;-)

I've been looking at the grayline and blue water brands. Do any of you have any experience with either of these that you can share? How long can I expect to keep shad alive in a good bait tank? Is an entire fishing weekend realistic?

Thanks!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2014, 01:41 AM
Woody

call Walkers Bait & Tackle they will tell you. Ph #615-568-2658 and ask for Mrs. Debra Walker she can tell you what you need to know about bait................woody
Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklemake View Post
call Walkers Bait & Tackle they will tell you. Ph #615-568-2658 and ask for Mrs. Debra Walker she can tell you what you need to know about bait................woody
I'm getting the sniffles and can't decide if it is a summer cold or pollen allergies. What can they tell me about that?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Super Bait Tank II is the best money can buy. Bad part is Ron is always on back order. Expect a 6 month wait. I have had 3 Greylines over the years 17,50,125 gallons. Bottom line the tank is Good the filtration system is very poor. You will need to purge your baits as best possible before you put them in there. Even if you do that the system does not filter well. My current tank is a SBT II 110 gallon. Best tank money can buy! I have heard good things about Blue Water but I think they are out of Colorado. I have heard shipping quotes where enough to buy another bait tank. I have kept bait in the Greylines for 24 hrs in coolier months but in warmer months they would be crap by the next day. The super tanks 4-5 days is very possible. I would not buy a Greyline in less you are a catch and use right away fisherman. For a live bait fisherman, your bait tank is the most important piece of equipment! Buy the best you can and wait if you have too. It will be worth it.

Last edited by DPowell; 04-18-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM

I like my Grayline. I agree with Powell on how long you can keep bait, but I AM a catch and use right away guy, so it serves me well. I mostly got it for keeping crabs live when fishing saltwater, which it does fine, in fact, for several days. Guess them crabs are a lot heartier than our sissy shad...LOL.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:45 PM

Do a google search on do it yourself tanks. I built one in an afternoon for less than $100 that works great. I would take a picture of it but it stays at my buddies fish camp down at Wheeler dam where we use it.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies and information. I really like the molded part of the grayline vs. the plastic welded sb2 and blue water. The comparisons on the internet say the sb2 is great but there are a lot of good comments about the graylines too. I have been using an old blue-water that was given to me but it is literally falling apart and leaks now. The outer walls are 1/2 gone and the foam insulation is exposed. It still works but since the sb2 is constructed the same way, I am drawn to the grayline because it is molded and basically un-breakable.

However... 2 people have commented on the filtration system on the grayline. This is a tough choice for me. 500-600 bucks is a lot of money in my world. I don't want to buy something that will break in 5 years. The grayline guy is cool as heck. He's been very talkative on the phone and said he'd take the tank back and give me a full refund if I don't like it after trying it. I decided to go ahead and order the grayline to give it a shot. It should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. If anyone is interested, i'll post a review after trying it out a few times.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:23 PM

Yes with pics please
Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 PM

Well I really like the bait tank and will post some detailed pix and an in depth review too but first I gotta share these pix of the hybrids caught on priest today with bait from the new gray line tank!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny57 View Post
Yes with pics please
uploadfromtaptalk1398479011023.jpg

Old 04-26-2014, 01:14 AM

Nice looking fish! What kind of bait did you catch them on?

-Alex