FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Tennesseejugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
You spent 21 years in Saudi?
I should be asking you the same thing. But mine would have been a rhetorical question, Never said I spent 21 years in Saudi, You said that most would not know what you were talking about but little did you know that there are some on this forum who have been there! Besides he stated that he has caught the 1st fish in his life, so unless he purchased the fish to eat or they were giving to him. I doubt that he even knows what you are talking about. But then again I could be wrong!

Last edited by Tennesseejugger; 05-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger View Post
I should be asking you the same thing. But mine would have been a rhetorical question, Never said I spent 21 years in Saudi, You said that most would not know what you were talking about but little did you know that there are some on this forum who have been there! Besides he stated that he has caught the 1st fish in his life, so unless he purchased the fish to eat or they were giving to him. I doubt that he even knows what you are talking about. But then again I could be wrong!
He made it into MTSU...he knows those names as they are the names in his native tongue. I knew many on here had been in Saudi at one time or the other. Anyway congrats on his first fish.

Regards
Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
What he meant Newbie is to catch a mess of fish and fill the stringer up. A stringer is what you keep your catch on. Come join us on the 30th for the Gathering. I have room on my boat for you!
Thanks for the explanation. I wouldn't miss that opportunities. Thanks for the invitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
Glad to see you having success with the sport we all cherish. Next step, try to catch fish on an artificial lure, it is much more satisfying. It's much more of a challenge of course, but keep practicing. Try small rooster tails (white, chartruese, or firetiger in color) or beetle spins. They are easy to fish with and will catch plenty of fish similar to what you caught and occasionally will catch others. In the stretch of river you fished, rooster tails can and will catch white bass, largemouth bass, crappie, and even a smallmouth but in that part of the river that is not as common. In the winter months, rainbow trout are stocked in the Stones River and they can commonly be caught on rooster tails.
I really appreciate your advice. I will follow your direction.

Quote:
I never tried fishing back home. Since I am far from the sea, and enjoy hunting. But the names he mentioned are the most delicious fish species I have ever tasted. Maybe because they are the only good fish there. Even between the red sea and the Gulf, the fish taste and quality differ. Some kind better in the Red sea but not good on the Gulf.
So, I only seen them in the store, we have some stores for fresh fish. But just reading the name of those delicious fish made me feel home sick.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Hey Newbie...I spent 21 years working in your country. I did assignments in Tabuk...Jubail...Jeddah...Dhahran....with frequent visits to Khamis...Hafir Al Batin.....Riyadh...Al Kharj. Caught literally tons of fish in the Red Sea...Persian Gulf...or I should say to a Saudi the Arabian Gulf...LOL. Love Hamour...Sobaity...Canad...Sikin. Too many fish to name but my most favorite was Nagil. I am sure there are not many on here who know what these fishes are but you should.

Regards
After 21 years, you should be more careful about that HaHa
I always heard about the great things in the the Red Sea, but my passion wasn't around the water. I really miss the Nagil here. The most delicious fish.
21 years is a very long time, so you had fun before things got complicated there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmull65 View Post
and after every fish it just keeps getting better good job man hope you enjoyed it such a great hobby
Thanks man, I am enjoying learning new thing, and reading a lot about this sophisticated hope. It is more documented than hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
It's actually a bluegill sunfish, but you were close.

bd
Thanks for the correction
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhal11 View Post
Way to go Newbie, now you are HOOKED, I love this sport.
thanks for the encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Congratulations! !!
Thanks, I am grateful to your advice that lead me to this achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Newbie, we are having a fishing/get together on June 30th ... Why don't you come and meet the guys that post ... Look at the forum page under the gathering threads and Gather update threads ... and congrats on your Gill ... Good eating !! <'TK><
I wouldn't miss it, I thought it would be 30 of may, and since I am busy doing my research I didn't thought I could make it. 30 June much better, and I am glade that I would have the chance to meet you guys and learn from you.
Thanks for the invitation
Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Master Trout Magnet

"After 21 years, you should be more careful about that HaHa
I always heard about the great things in the the Red Sea, but my passion wasn't around the water. I really miss the Nagil here. The most delicious fish.
21 years is a very long time, so you had fun before things got complicated there"

Quote:

I loved it there. Would go back if I could. It was 21 years of my life and is a big part of me. The fishing in the Red Sea and Gulf was the best I have experienced.
Regards
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I loved it there. Would go back if I could. It was 21 years of my life and is a big part of me. The fishing in the Red Sea and Gulf was the best I have experienced.
Regards
Wow, 21 years. Was that all in one stretch? And I thought I was the traveling expat after 21 years overseas (3 years in Korea 86-89, then 4 years in Japan, 93-97, then 14 years in Korea, 97-11). I'm still getting acclimated to life back in the states.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
Wow, 21 years. Was that all in one stretch? And I thought I was the traveling expat after 21 years overseas (3 years in Korea 86-89, then 4 years in Japan, 93-97, then 14 years in Korea, 97-11). I'm still getting acclimated to life back in the states.
Yeah...21 straight years. Of course I had vacation time each year. By the time I left I was getting 10 weeks a year for vacation.

Regards
Old 05-18-2012, 02:06 PM

I bet you have tons of interesting stories to tell, Alphahawk.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
I bet you have tons of interesting stories to tell, Alphahawk.
I used to tell a lot of friends and family of my experiences when I would come home on vacation...but I stopped. They did not believe them. When you talk to most expats they say the same thing. It is one thing to visit another country.....but when you live in another county it is something else. The different cultures....what the economy is like and so on. Yes I have a lot of stories...but now just mostly discuss them with my fellow expats that I worked with that are now scattered all over the USA.

Regards
Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM

I think part of it, when telling your experiences to family and friends is that they can't really relate. Aside from military folks or those who have jobs related to the military, how many people do you know that have never even left their home state, much less the country? I still have people I went to school with in Ohio who grew up in the same county and are still working there to this day. They have no real concept of what life is like in another country aside from what they may see on TV or read in the news.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:37 PM

Welcome newbie.

What's your major?

All the suggestions on how-to's have been great in this and the other threads. I couldn't really add much. Trout Magnets will catch you fish.

Also you can try this, Renowsky Keystone Jig. Sold at Wal-mart, Academy and about anywhere that has tackle. They come in (1) each on a blister pack card.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...10051_17267_-1

Fish it on no larger than 6lb line but smaller line the better like the trout magnets.

Two ways to fish it:

#1 thread the minnow body on jig head, tie directly to the end of your line, add a size BB clamp on style weight about 12-18 inches above and simply cast out then crank back slowly.

#2 thread the minnow body on jig head, tie directly to the end of your line, add a small float at your desired depth above then cast out and crank back slowly maybe incorporate a twitch or two.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Welcome newbie.

What's your major?

All the suggestions on how-to's have been great in this and the other threads. I couldn't really add much. Trout Magnets will catch you fish.

Also you can try this, Renowsky Keystone Jig. Sold at Wal-mart, Academy and about anywhere that has tackle. They come in (1) each on a blister pack card.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...10051_17267_-1

Fish it on no larger than 6lb line but smaller line the better like the trout magnets.

Two ways to fish it:

#1 thread the minnow body on jig head, tie directly to the end of your line, add a size BB clamp on style weight about 12-18 inches above and simply cast out then crank back slowly.

#2 thread the minnow body on jig head, tie directly to the end of your line, add a small float at your desired depth above then cast out and crank back slowly maybe incorporate a twitch or two.
Chemistry, and I am doing my research in Engineering Polymer.

Thank you for the detailed guide. I will try them as you direct me.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Interesting major. Where do you hope to take it?

No problem on the info, just make sure when you tread the minnow body on the hook that it goes in the mouth and out on top by the dorsal fin. That way the minnow sits correctly in the water and not upside down. Also, try not to bunch up the body on the hook. You want it to be straight or it will spin causing line twist.

A trick to it is: lay the body down on its side, lay the hook on top of it where it will go once in the body and that will show where the hook will come out of the body. Then thread it through coming out at that spot and the body should be straight every time.