FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Launching boat by yourself

I'm just curious as to how you guys that fish by yourself launch your boat. I fish by myself a lot and launch myself all the time. Here's my system: I stage in the parking lot and get the boat ready for launch. Next I back my boat almost all the way down the ramp. I get out and unroll quite a bit of strap on my trailer winch while leaving the strap attached to the boat. Next I back my boat slowly into the water until my boat slides off the trailer and then I pull forward a bit until the strap gets tight and my front trailer rails are just above the water. Then, I get out and step on my trailer and hold the strap and walk the trailer until I can unhook my boat and get in. Last I motor to the dock or bank and park my truck.

There is probably a better way. That's why I am asking what you guys do. I never had anyone teach me how to drive a boat or anything that goes with it. This just seemed to be what I started doing. I've only ever had a couple hiccups. Once I launched at daylight at Cairo boat ramp. I accidentally unhooked the strap and had to strip down and take a swim after my boat that morning. The other was on Xmas a couple weeks ago. I was launching at DH and lost my footing on the trailer and had to jump in the water up to my knees so I wouldn't fall. My feet never got as cold as I thought they would. I just rang my socks out when I parked the truck.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:21 PM

I used to do something similar except I would tie about a 30-ft rope. A good 1/2” thick rope to the tie on the deck. I would choose the tie that would be on the side depending on where the dock was that I was going to pull the boat to. Tied the other end to the truck. I would place the rope on the deck where it would feed without interfering with anything on the deck of the boat. I would unhock the tie on the front hooking it to the trailer. Lower it in the water. Once it cleared the trailer I would pull forward out of the water. Untie the rope from the truck and pull the boat to the dock. Tie it to the dock and move the truck. I could do it pretty quick and normally no one had to wait on me long.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:24 PM

I fish mostly alone, so this is a pretty common routine for me.

My fish & ski has a V hull, so my launch process is similar to yours.

My river boat, however, has a flat bottom. I have a length of rope about twice the length of the boat attached to the bow. I just loop the other end of the rope over the trailer winch, back in till the wheels go under, tap the brakes, and the boat shoots off the trailer. Then when I pull up the boat grounds itself on the ramp - take rope off trailer, park truck, walk back to boat. Easy peasy.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:02 PM

I use a similar method except put the trailer winch in neutral and back the boat in. Once the boat starts floating, it will unwind the winch automatically. I then pull the trailer back up the ramp until the front of the boat gets lifted by trailer slightly.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 PM

I guess most of us have a similar system. One thing to note for anyone wondering about launching yourself is that a keel guard is my best friend. I launch at ramps sometimes that don't have docks or the docks may be congested. I can beach my fiberglass boat on just about any bank without fear of damaging it and I'm usually much closer to my truck so it's not taking up the ramp any longer than needed.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile What worked for me .. <'TK><

Most of you have may have seen pic's of my guide boat under the Post "Memories" Posted right up from this post .

The majority of my launch ramps used were long steep river ramps like is found in Carthage and below the Cordell Hull Dam. Fishing alone or with a guide party I always launched my boat by myself. Note: the boat was 23 feet long and the trailer 26 feet.

My method is similar to Jeff's and others mentioned above. I used a 30 foot 3/8 parachute cord attached to my bow eye and I would store it by wrapping it between two mooring cleats mounted on my forward deck. I would tie the tag end of the cord to my roof rack on my Tahoe and drape the cord to the deck of the boat and clip it which would come loose when the boat floated off of the trailer.

When entering the water I would be aggressive and then apply the brakes to pitch the boat away from the trailer. the boat would float away from the trailer and with a taught line I would untie and pull the boat to the bank. I used a Gator Guard for the keel also by tying the cord to the vehicle and not the trailer you very seldom have to get your feet wet...

Hope this helps ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 01-11-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 PM

I have seen (never tried) two other techniques.
1.) For those with Minn Kota Ulterra trolling motors, they just back down, launch the boat, deploy the trolling motor, walk to the dock, motor the boat over, and tie it off. No ropes involved.
2.) I saw one guy tie the other end of his rope to the cleat on the dock, back down, launch the boat, go park his truck, walk to the dock, and then pull is boat back to the dock with the rope.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 PM

I put an Ulterra on mine about a 1-1/2 ago and it hasn’t failed me yet. I will only use it if the ramp has a dock. A little nervous about driving it up on the bank or ramp and having it not lift out of the water in time. It is nice driving it to the dock and just stepping on.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 AM

I do, at times, use the rope method. But at some ramps, there is no dock. I use 2 anchors, one at the stern and one on the bow. Bow one goes on shore but I use it as a THE pull rope.

My biggest slow down, when solo, is the motor, it runs great but man is it cold nature. It takes 5 or so minutes to warn up enough to stay running while in gear (18 year old Honda tiller). If it is crowed, i prep the depth finder and other gear, while it is still warming up while on the trailer. I prefer to do that away from the ramp, but it is "idle" time.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:18 AM

I've watched many uTube vids on launching and loading and some of those guys makes me laugh, especially when they load the boat sideways on the trailer.

The best video was actually on the Bass Tracker site.

I'm far from an expert but what I have done was leave the strap hooked to the bow and back it in until I notice the back of the boat just starts to float. Then I climb up onto the trailer releasing the strap and then back the boat off using the engine to pull the boat off the trailer then idle to the dock.

I've yet to launch where there are no docks, but that will change when I start launching on the river. I suppose I'll use a rope hooked to the bow and push it off and pull it to shore and either tying it off to a tree or using a anchor

I've heard of guys hooking to the bow with a rope and launching while holding the rope while and pulling the boat to shore, then parking once the boat was secured.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 AM

I like all these suggestions! I have a question though...what's the best way to get the dang thing back on the trailer when your alone??? I'm trying not to look like a complete idiot at the ramp 😂
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Talking

I do like others here. I tie lone rope to boat and then to my tailgate on my truck. Then back in till it floats and then pull forward slowly dragging boat up onto ramp. I have a used aluminum tracker so I don’t care if I scratch it.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Dakota S

I always use a dock because of my fiberglass bottom and no keel guard. If the dock is close and not crowded I will use the rope method in which I tie the rope to the dock and shoot the boat of the trailer. It actually works really good. Most of the time I’ll do it this way. I’ll back in with the front strap of the boat still attached until the water is close to the top of my trailer fender. Then unhook the front strap, hop in the boat and back it off. This works best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I like all these suggestions! I have a question though...what's the best way to get the dang thing back on the trailer when your alone??? I'm trying not to look like a complete idiot at the ramp 😂

This is Trackers Trackers video of how to launch a boat for dummies 101

If the link works correctly, it should start you around the 10 min mark. It talks about launching alone. As a newbie, I really found this helpful, especially the reloading part, except I don't like the powering part until it hits the stop. I'd rather wench it the last 12"

Also I found out the first time I loaded it my self that if its not perfectly centered, I could back up just a little more allowing the stern to float just a little more allowing the boat to correct its self.

https://youtu.be/m5RsMzY3Qlg?t=446
Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Don't overthink it. My trailer has a sweetspot that works 90% of the time. I back down until the water just covers my deepest running boards. The only time this doesn't work is if the ramp has a steep dropoff at the waters edge. Then I may have to back down a little further. Next I load the boat, tighten the winch, and climb on the trailer tounge and hop in the bed of my truck. Then out on the pavement. When I first got a boat launching and loading terrified me. Now I'd say I'm almost as fast as 2 people.