FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 PM

Default Yamaha F25 Review

Last year I wanted to upgrade my 14 x 48 Alumacraft river boat with a bigger engine, and Dave at Nashville Marine made me an offer I couldn't refuse and talked me into getting the new Yamaha F25. I had a 9.9 Merc 4 stroke on it, so this was pretty much a huge upgrade.

This motor is just awesome. First off - its LIGHT. At 125 lbs it was only a little heavier than the 9.9, and its DFI and easy to start, I didn't need a starting battery, so its actually LIGHTER than the 9.9 and battery combination.

That equates to HP to weight ratio, and in that light little boat it really just flies over the water. 26mph with 2 people - almost 30 by myself -plenty fast enough running the small waters I like to fish...

No choke -easy to pull - starts first pull - even after setting all winter. Quiet too. Has an electronic idle control so I can bump the idle up and down while running and actually trolls slower than the 9.9... Shift is positive and smooth -big upgrade from the Merc..

Anyway Best small outboard I have ever owned - hands down. Thought some might be interested here in checking them out..

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...#specs-compare

Old 05-04-2019, 07:15 AM

Did you go with the 2 or 4 stroke model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 AM

F25 is four-stroke
Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
F25 is four-stroke
Yup - its a 4 Stroke.

FWIW - it is actually quicker than their traditional 25hp 2 stroke model.. When I goose it its like warp drive right now. This motor is just amazing..

Info below is from the link.

QUICKER THAN A TWO-STROKE
The new F25C outperforms the traditional Yamaha 25-horsepower two stroke. So it’s the perfect power for 14- to 16-foot aluminum boats and similar craft.*

*Testing conducted by Yamaha at Yamaha’s US Test Facility on a G3 Model 1448 under heavy load conditi
ons.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 AM

I checked it out on the web link. That is a pearl.
My little 9.9 Tohatsu is very temperamental, but clean as a pin. Just has trouble starting up after trailering to water sometimes. I will be looking into these, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 09:06 AM

At 30 mph, that's giddi up and go speed... Try not to make the guys that bought the new bass trackers classic with 50hp motors feel too badly... LOL Hell mine with a 75 only cruises at 40 mph, but that's fast enough for me. Now 30 yrs ago I'd be figuring out how to mount a 150 on the back. LOL

Yams are a pretty good motor these days
Old 05-04-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
At 30 mph, that's giddi up and go speed... Try not to make the guys that bought the new bass trackers classic with 50hp motors feel too badly... LOL Hell mine with a 75 only cruises at 40 mph, but that's fast enough for me. Now 30 yrs ago I'd be figuring out how to mount a 150 on the back. LOL

Yams are a pretty good motor these days
Yup - I don't have any pics going 30- at that speed one hand is hanging on and the other is on the tiller. But here is one from an early season trip...and I am going upstream...

My boat in my profile pic has a 115 Merc 4 stroke on it. Its a 2012 model so its the larger one - they came out with a more compact version I think right after that year model. It has been trouble free and very low hours -I mainly troll off the electric..and since I bought the river boat a few years back it has mainly been a garage queen. But its a good boat/motor set up and I have no reason to sell it. It maxes out about 45 by myself - which is plenty fast for me - generally run around 30 anyway.. I don't do the tournament thing so speed not really an issue anyway.