FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Default A blessed fishing week! new PB!

Well the wife is on tour until next weekend, so I put in some hours of fishing in this week.

It started with a trip to the Caney Fork below Center Hill dam. I went last tuesday night. I saw they had 2 or more gens going, but was honestly surprised to see 3 going full speed when i got there. My normal spots that average 5-8 ft were 17-20 ft deep. This obviously created some definite current breaks. I worked these current breaks and fished from just before dark until 8 in the kayak. The fish completely shut off at 7:30, but up until then I managed exactly 25 trout(a mixture of all 3 species) nothing over 15", but i didn't have one under 12", and there was only 2 under 13". So nothing huge, but very good quality trout with healthy bellys. At 2 different times I had a nice 15" brook and a 15" brown on the board to get a photo, they both times jumped off. Trout are the hardest to get to stay on the board for a photo! Amongst the trout, I caught this very healthy 24 1/2" walleye, and also caught a drum and a 14 1/2" sauger. Good night to say the least!

Then yesterday morning I hit the GSP at daylight. I fished 2 1/2 hours, I got one bite, was almost spooled, and then felt my line rubbing structure under the water, I thought "oh crap" then sure enough it broke. Nuts!

Hit the GSP again this morning, again one bite, and i apologize ahead of time for the lengthy description that is about to unfold.

As soon as i set the hook, It is like I hooked into a yellowfin tuna. I have never seen my drag peel this fast from a freshwater fish. It went, and went, and went. I started getting very nervous, started palming my reel, and then i got even more nervous, finally it slowed down just as i was starting to see the backing on my reel. I gained about half way, then it turned again and pulled out just about to the backing again. Finally gaining, I get it near the barrier, I think I have this fish beat. WRONG!! It decides to make a run out to the river and goes under the barrier about 20 feet infront of the kayak! So now I am leaning over the barrier on my kayak, holding the rod with both hands as hard as I can to keep it off the barrier and snapping my rod in half... as it is peeling line off at a crazy fast speed....towards the river! I see it surface half way to the white buoys...I now think...THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING TO WIN! After I gain a bit it makes a large circle and swims behind me and goes back under the barrier about 30 feet behind the kayak. Then proceeds to peel 50 ft of more line out towards the plant. By this time, I still have not seen the fish besides a massive tail flip out towards the main river, Just large swells when it kicks it in 4 wheel. I now play a little bit of swim back and forth game and finally i get it near the kayak and it floats up to the surface, after nearly pooping my waders, i regain consciousness, I get the fish close enough to get the grips on her mouth. Then it takes 2 hands to pull her up on my lap! GOT HER!!! I look up to see not a soul around, slip her back in, hold on to her with one arm, and 1 arm paddle to shore, jump in with her, put my camera on timer and put it on a log sticking out of the water, snap a quick 3 shots, and then best part was reviving her in knee deep calm water right in the water with her. Watching her slowly and gracefully swim from my hands was an incredible moment! 43" long, 28" girth, 44 lbs on the boga. Beat my old PB by 10 lbs and new record for biggest kayak fish to date!

To show the size of the fish, I am a pretty big guy, 215 lbs, I have a life jacket on, and a duck hunting jacket over my life jacket. on pic #170, i am bear hugging the fish, so it is pressed tight against my chest. No holding out from my body whatsoever!

God is good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140225-photo-56.jpg (371.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20080101-P1010172.jpg (359.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 20080101-P1010170.jpg (359.4 KB, 179 views)

Mike
Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Michael,
Catching all of those trout got your muscles in shape for that big fish at OH.
Your smile says it all.
Living the dream.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:19 PM

Very nice catch.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcintn View Post
Michael,
Catching all of those trout got your muscles in shape for that big fish at OH.
Your smile says it all.
Living the dream.
HA, thanks!! I sure am!

Mike
Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM

What a fish man. My goodness. Congrats.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Dakota S

Awesome catch!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Big congrats!

Regards
Old 03-02-2014, 03:58 PM

Nice!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM

Awesome!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Wow! Great fish! My PB is almost identical. Congrats. Good job on the selfie too
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Great story and great fishing this weekend for ya!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:33 PM

awesome job those are all nice healthy fish.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM

Heck yeah, Mike! What a fish. I've been gone less than a week and I already want to get back out there so bad I can't stand it. Keep putting a hurt on them and ill see you for some hybrids in April.

-Alex
Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Awesome story and pictures! Way to go, man! It was great meeting you at the expo and I hope you keep posting some great catch pictures.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Guess you just couldn't stand your dad being up on you. Had to go and beat him.