FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Google

Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan2104 View Post
Get on you tube and find the episode of him bowfishing.. pulls the bow back with his teeth and shot amazingly well although I know it didn't show all of the misses!!! I wish tn had a good outdoors show like that one!! There used to be a tn outdoorsman back in the day but.don't know if there are any current shows or not
Fishin Affliction is on and good.

Infact, they spent a couple days in Dave's guide boat (fishfindergeneral) shooting a smallmouth episode on Dale Hollow.

To me I grew up with Tn Outdoorsman. There will always be a soft place in me for the sound of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" by flat and scruggs as it was the shows intro music.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM

Tim Farmer is one of my best friends, in fact I was best man at his wedding. He has ALL of his right arm, it was just so damaged in his motorcycle wreck that sleeve filler is about all they could do for him. But he does fine as some of you have mentioned. There is a book out on him, (I wrote the forward in it) that tells his live story, pretty good read. I'm sure Amazon still carries it. I've done several shows with him over the years, including this one on bowfishing bigheads. I only recently moved to Tn after my retirement from the Army. Tim keeps telling me he's coming down for a visit. I keep telling him the fishing in Tn is great! Here's the link for those interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_tae_H7W5s
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM

I agree with Travis's post above about stripers moving many miles in a day. Other than their spawning run, their movements are generally dictated by shad movement and thermal refuges.

I disagree about them not relating to structure like logs. At least in a river where there is a lot of current, they will cluster up around rock piles and log jams. A lot of people don't realize this because they see stripers as open-water fish. I didn't believe it for a long time.

But I discovered the stripers on the Cordell Hull tailwater section of the Cumberland will absolutely relate to structure almost like a largemouth in a river. In fact, when you see people pulling planer boards for stripers, one of the big dividing lines between people who struggle and those who are really successful at it is how close they get their bait to the brush piles along the edge of the river. When you get a planer really tight to cover and bring that skipjack right past a big cluster of rocks and logs, that's when a big striper will hit. If you're even a few feet too far out, you may never get a bite.

Travis's quote is right about them being boat shy though. If you motor over them, it's all over, especially in clear water. I see this at the Steam Plant in winter all the time. One idiot roaring through the discharge canal can ruin the striper fishing for every single boat there that day.

bd
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Owner and Administrator

Smile bd is dead on ! <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
I agree with Travis's post above about stripers moving many miles in a day. Other than their spawning run, their movements are generally dictated by shad movement and thermal refuges.

I disagree about them not relating to structure like logs. At least in a river where there is a lot of current, they will cluster up around rock piles and log jams. A lot of people don't realize this because they see stripers as open-water fish. I didn't believe it for a long time.

But I discovered the stripers on the Cordell Hull tailwater section of the Cumberland will absolutely relate to structure almost like a largemouth in a river. In fact, when you see people pulling planer boards for stripers, one of the big dividing lines between people who struggle and those who are really successful at it is how close they get their bait to the brush piles along the edge of the river. When you get a planer really tight to cover and bring that skipjack right past a big cluster of rocks and logs, that's when a big striper will hit. If you're even a few feet too far out, you may never get a bite.

Travis's quote is right about them being boat shy though. If you motor over them, it's all over, especially in clear water. I see this at the Steam Plant in winter all the time. One idiot roaring through the discharge canal can ruin the striper fishing for every single boat there that day.

bd
Especially about the structure ... <'TK><
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
Especially about the structure ... <'TK><
Hey TK, you ready to come out of retirement??
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansfan2104 View Post
Easy does it . That is the host of ky afield. He is missing his right hand. That's the only way he can do it !!
oops!! Now i feel bad! I guess I just assumed he was a novice. I see people all the time holding there spinning reels upside down below dams and such. I always chuckle:-) You know what assuming does!!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post

bd
When do stripers make their spawning run???
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 AM

no big deal , i was thinking the same thing and just figured with him being the host ofn outdoor show there had to be something wrong and thats when i noticed his arm. he has a really good show that you can see some clips on youtube as well as myoutdoortv,com
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile in January ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfisher View Post
When do stripers make their spawning run???
In the Cumberland River chain they start in Jan ... the premo times is in April and May ... they won't go through the spawn until the water temps hit 60 deg's ... By that time they have swam as far as they can go ... Check out heads and tails of Islands ... AROUND STRUCTURE !!! ... sorry I can't come out of retirement to fish Stripers ... Done that and have the Tee Shirt ... Enjoying catching hand size gills and Crackers for supper with my flyrod now ... And trolling with my bride of 47 years for Walleyes ... .... after a days work with repairing and restoring old outboards ... Life is good for me ... Going to leave soon for a cruise for our Anniversary on the Royal Caribbean "Oasis of the Seas" to celebrate ... (our 4th cruise ) <'TK><
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I fished below OH Dam on Saturday, launched at the new ramp on the Stones river and ran up to catch the two hour release from 6-8AM. I started catching stripers on a spinner bait from the sewer pipe all the way down to the island below OH Blvd bridge. What a blast! When the current cut off, there was flow in the Stones river so I got on the bass for another couple of hours.
Hey Buccaneer...where is that new ramp on the Stones?
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterwalt View Post
Hey Buccaneer...where is that new ramp on the Stones?
http://www.timesofoldhickory.com/pag...OUTDOORS-.aspx
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks Nofish...rode over there this evening and checked it out...nice ramp!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterwalt View Post
Thanks Nofish...rode over there this evening and checked it out...nice ramp!
You're welcome