FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-10-2016, 01:26 PM

Default Vinyl Boat Seats

Im slowly getting my boat cleaned up and ready for the fall/winter bite. one more coat of wax and that part will be done!
my question is, with all the different products, what have you guys had luck with on your vinyl boat seats. Ive used Armor All on the past on other seats but never had them long enough to see how they hold up, but ive also been told that Armor All isnt the "cure all" for vinyl products.
Case in point: the company that made my truck cover stated they would not honor the warranty if Armor All was ever used on the cover which is why i pose the question. i had to purchase a special tonneau cover cleaner/treatment for the cover. Could all be a load of crap, but at $250 for a cover, i didnt want to risk it.
Anyways, im looking for a good clean/treat/sun-uv block kind of product.
I called Alumacraft, and they just told me to wipe em down with soapy water or a "spray vinyl cleaner".

The boat stays outside but covered year round, but the better i can prevent cracks and tears, the better i will be.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:55 PM

I had a car dashboard crack after successive use of armor all.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:44 PM

Yeah ive heard that before.
If they were off the shelf seats at a reasonable price it wouldnt be a big deal, but these seats i got are pretty comfy and im sure replacement seats come at a premium. No doubt over time they will crack and breakdown, but if i can slow that process by spending a few $$$$ i glady will. Lol
Old 10-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Dakota S

I haven't used anything else but this product. My boat is 9 years old and seats are still in great shape.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-9023-8...&wl13=&veh=sem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Awesome thanks! i will give that a shot!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Vinyl is simply plastic, and the only thing that can affect it is UV radiation and chemicals. If you put a piece of plastic inside a dark container it would still be there, good as new, a million years from now.

There is no "suntan lotion" or other product that will work on the UV rays that decay plastics. Alumacraft's advice is correct. just keep it clean with as few contaminants on it that could chemically react with the plastic. No armorall or other "stuff" that might break down and react. Just keep it clean and covered every minute you're not using it...clean means no sweat or human oils, suntan lotion etc. Those are the things that begin to react and decay the plastic..... Do that and it could last 10,000 years...

Last edited by Shaugh; 10-27-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:49 AM

thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 05:39 PM

303 works great and will protect from UV.