FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 PM

If that is truly what I caught then it had no fight in it. 4# on an UL spinning reel
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM

I've been wearing the tilapia out at the GSP. It took a short while to figure them out, but I did it. I caught around 30 or so in 2 hrs on Saturday morning. Biggest one was 14" long and weighed around 2 1/2 lbs (he tasted great, too). I'm hesitant to reveal any info on where/what to catch them since they are pretty easy. They are stacked in one area the size of a car hood, and I was catching them hand over fist till I ran out of bait. I started using lures, but quit keeping them after I had 17 on my stringer. Total weight was around 16 lbs before I filleted them. I ended up with just under 10 lbs of fillets, and gave about half to some relatives.

Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnative View Post
I've been wearing the tilapia out at the GSP. It took a short while to figure them out, but I did it. I caught around 30 or so in 2 hrs on Saturday morning. Biggest one was 14" long and weighed around 2 1/2 lbs (he tasted great, too). I'm hesitant to reveal any info on where/what to catch them since they are pretty easy. They are stacked in one area the size of a car hood, and I was catching them hand over fist till I ran out of bait. I started using lures, but quit keeping them after I had 17 on my stringer. Total weight was around 16 lbs before I filleted them. I ended up with just under 10 lbs of fillets, and gave about half to some relatives.

Chris
Chris I am just curious as to how they fight. But your post indicated they are prolific and can obviously survive the winter here....which is highly unusual. Texas and other states seem to be having problems with these fish....they are concerned they will take over the lakes they are in. The next question is how did they get in there? Makes one wonder if they will start showing up other places.

Regards
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM

I read where they were stocked in various places in TN for algae control in ponds. Probably high water or flood allowed them access to the lake.

Chris.... your cover is blown now man!!! You were supposed to remain the incognito tilapia slayer.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Alpha,

They fight like a 'gill...though the big one did rip drag on 4# line, and I had two break me off. Some are fairly tame, others are much more energetic. The 7"-9" ones are abundant, and they fight ok at best, anything over 10" feels almost like a decent shellcracker. Bigger than that and they will give you a tussle. I was using a med power rod, so I imagine an UL would be great.

I'm assuming they escaped ponds during the flood. They are stocked for weed control, food, and as prey for bass. The ones I'm catching are blue tilapia, and a pure strain blue can tolerate water temps down to 47 degrees. I called TWRA about it, and they know the tilapia are in old hick, but I didn't get much more info from them. I researched them a lot after I caught one lady Sunday, then I tried some of my theories out on Thursday, and by Saturday I had a good handle on things. Looks like they are going to survive in the lake, which means my short list of fish I'll take home just grew by one species

Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post

Chris.... your cover is blown now man!!! You were supposed to remain the incognito tilapia slayer.
Only 3 people know my super-secret guaranteed tilapia tactics, and if I see anyone copying them, you and midtnkayakangler must not be able to keep a secret

Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Only 3 people know my super-secret guaranteed tilapia tactics, and if I see anyone copying them, you and midtnkayakangler must not be able to keep a secret

Chris
I am opening a guide service...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
I am opening a guide service...
LOL

I'll be your silent partner. You do all the work and take care of the start-up costs, and I will provide all the info for a nominal fee, around 40% of the profits seems fair.

Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Alpha,

They fight like a 'gill...though the big one did rip drag on 4# line, and I had two break me off. Some are fairly tame, others are much more energetic. The 7"-9" ones are abundant, and they fight ok at best, anything over 10" feels almost like a decent shellcracker. Bigger than that and they will give you a tussle. I was using a med power rod, so I imagine an UL would be great.

I'm assuming they escaped ponds during the flood. They are stocked for weed control, food, and as prey for bass. The ones I'm catching are blue tilapia, and a pure strain blue can tolerate water temps down to 47 degrees. I called TWRA about it, and they know the tilapia are in old hick, but I didn't get much more info from them. I researched them a lot after I caught one lady Sunday, then I tried some of my theories out on Thursday, and by Saturday I had a good handle on things. Looks like they are going to survive in the lake, which means my short list of fish I'll take home just grew by one species

Chris
Thats good. I was thinking it had to be blue tilapia. I don't think any have been caught at Pickwick...Nickajack...Center Hill. But who knows where they will show up. In 1980's up through the mid to late 90's I could buy tilapia for about two dollars a pound. I will never forget the first time my ex-wife and I saw tilapia on a menu on a vacation home. We both just looked at one another and could not believe what they were selling for. Glad you have a good source for them.

Regards
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Here's Tilapia Slayers Pics...

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
LOL

I'll be your silent partner. You do all the work and take care of the start-up costs, and I will provide all the info for a nominal fee, around 40% of the profits seems fair.

Chris
That's sound fair to me... there won't be much operational cost as I was going to use Jeremy' boats.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Who needs crappie...LOL. Great looking fish.

Regards
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM

So if I go there, and duplicate this secret technique....I can get Travis C. and midtnkayakangler in trouble?? Haha!

Mike
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfisher View Post
So if I go there, and duplicate this secret technique....I can get Travis C. and midtnkayakangler in trouble?? Haha!
Trust me... you can't duplicate this. It involves chicken blood, voodoo dolls and a garlic necklace.

Ooops, did I just type that outloud. My bad Chris...
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Chicken blood, check.

Garlic necklace (who doesn't own one of those?), check.

Anyone know where I can get some voodoo dolls?

Tilapia is some tasty fish!