FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
those are the best SI and DI images that ive seen. No HD transducer or extra equipment needed from what i was told. And even though it doesnt have mapping, its still dirt cheap in comparison.

Does it have 2D Sonar or is it all Chirp/DI?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
Does it have 2D Sonar or is it all Chirp/DI?

There are two models. One is di and 2d. The other is 2d.....si.....di....all modes CHIRPed. There is a new Echo model that is 9 inch and has mapping with all 3 modes CHIRPed. Very little info on these new units but if it is the real deal HB....Lowrance.....and others....could be playing catch up. di and si already give pretty good target separation . But adding CHIRP to di, si, could take us to a new level.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2016, 12:56 AM
Fishing Fool

Default Side Image Units

The 73sv is the one they had on sale during the spring classic for 499 or 599 and it is all that and mapping. But now it's back up to 899 I believe. I'm like you bronzeback, I'm seriously considering it and just keeping my $10.00 navionics map on my phone up to date and use that. Hell, if you can drop a waypoint down on it, you can get close enough to be in the area no matter how slow the gps updates.

I've been wondering if someone with some computer know how could upgrade the processor in say an elite 5 to make the Gps work better. That's my only gripe with that unit!!

Old 03-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Fishing Fool

@Tnbronzeback, just curious if you've made a decision and purchase yet.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
@Tnbronzeback, just curious if you've made a decision and purchase yet.

ive not made a purchase yet, but im leaning toward the Garmin Striker 7SV.
im gonna give it a few weeks to try and find some kind of reviews.
im looking for the crisp side images and so far Garmin has my eye. Mapping would be nice, but thats a luxery for my use, so as long as i can drop way points, thats all im looking to get.
Hoping to have it in the next few weeks though.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Fishing Fool

Default Side Image Units

I'm with you. I'm considering the striker 7sv also. And I'm also thinking about buying the 7dv, and putting my elite5 on my dash to use for mapping and sonar to keep my side scan full screen. Doubt I do that but I like the sound of it.

The picture on the Garmin is by far better than any other unit out there in my opinion and right now I feel it's the best bang for my dollar!!!

Old 03-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet View Post
I'm with you. I'm considering the striker 7sv also. And I'm also thinking about buying the 7dv, and putting my elite5 on my dash to use for mapping and sonar to keep my side scan full screen. Doubt I do that but I like the sound of it.

The picture on the Garmin is by far better than any other unit out there in my opinion and right now I feel it's the best bang for my dollar!!!

So I'm thinking about another unit...any thoughts on the new, fancy

Lowrance Elite-7 Ti

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/elite-7-ti-en-us.aspx
Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
So I'm thinking about another unit...any thoughts on the new, fancy

Lowrance Elite-7 Ti

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/elite-7-ti-en-us.aspx
Thoughts....there has never been a better time to get a new sonar. There are a lot of units out and the selection is mind blowing. One needs to figure out their needs....and research...research...research. I am waiting to see real world reviews of the Striler 7 sv series. The units are hard to get so I think that is why no reviews yet. With Garmin CHIRPing the si and di I am waiting on the reviews to come in on the Garmin echoMAP 93sv. I am not hung up on any brand. I can get any HB I want at cost. One thing I know for sure that bigger is better in screen size for imaging units. I am looking at a Helix....10...12. I want a bigger screen. But as I have said before the CHIRPing of di and si could be a game changer. As far as I know Garmin is the only one CHIRPing the si and di. So until I can get real world reviews on those units I am waiting. But you asked about the Lowrance unit. IMHO it is a great unit.

Regards
Old 03-13-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Thoughts....there has never been a better time to get a new sonar. There are a lot of units out and the selection is mind blowing. One needs to figure out their needs....and research...research...research. I am waiting to see real world reviews of the Striler 7 sv series. The units are hard to get so I think that is why no reviews yet. With Garmin CHIRPing the si and di I am waiting on the reviews to come in on the Garmin echoMAP 93sv. I am not hung up on any brand. I can get any HB I want at cost. One thing I know for sure that bigger is better in screen size for imaging units. I am looking at a Helix....10...12. I want a bigger screen. But as I have said before the CHIRPing of di and si could be a game changer. As far as I know Garmin is the only one CHIRPing the si and di. So until I can get real world reviews on those units I am waiting. But you asked about the Lowrance unit. IMHO it is a great unit.

Regards
im right there with you....funds have been aquired, mind is made up pending on reviews of the garmin striker.....should be something coming out review-wise in another few weeks i would imagine.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 PM

Default Side Image Units

The only issue with the Garmin striker is you can't loaded it up with Lake View maps. I'd opt for the echoMAP CHIRP 73 sv. I had one on backorder since December. But cancelled it and bought a Lowrance 7ti Totalscan. I just sent it back to Cabelas since the screen wouldn't respond to touch.

Keep in mind the transducer on any new side scan unit is HUGE!

I kayak fish, so wanted something nice, since I don't own a bass boat. Mounting the transducer has been a challenge.

Mike Buesing
Spring Hill, TN

Old 03-16-2016, 10:53 AM

The more I look into these new models the more I think about selling my Humminbird Helix 7 SI. I like the Elite ti
Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBfromTN View Post
The only issue with the Garmin striker is you can't loaded it up with Lake View maps. I'd opt for the echoMAP CHIRP 73 sv. I had one on backorder since December. But cancelled it and bought a Lowrance 7ti Totalscan. I just sent it back to Cabelas since the screen wouldn't respond to touch.

Keep in mind the transducer on any new side scan unit is HUGE!

I kayak fish, so wanted something nice, since I don't own a bass boat. Mounting the transducer has been a challenge.

Mike Buesing
Spring Hill, TN

yeah ive gone back and forth on the mapping capabilities on the echo vs. the striker. The striker still allows you to drop waypoints which is all im really looking to do.
i still do look at physical lake maps on new bodies of water and i keep my Navionics updated on my phone which i use alot. It may be considered the long way to accomplish the end goal, but it works for me and it saves me about $400 by not buying the echo unit.
i can have a hard time explaining to the wife that even though the new boat cost X-thousands of dollars, i still need to spend another $2k for fish finders. Lol. Thats a tough sale in my house! lol
Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM

https://youtu.be/AP4xdhRkRGo

if anybody is interested on a run-down of the Garmin Striker 7SV here is a pretty good you tube video i found.
It seems pretty user friendly. I found 1 review on another site and the only concern the person had was the construction of the connectors. To him, they seemed a little cheap. I dont know exactly what he was refering to, but other than that, he said the unit this far had performed flawless. Take that how ya want to being just 1 review.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Fishing Fool

The lowrance ti models are as good as an hds in my book. There's very small details that make the hds better, but those details are not something that I need or want. I don't need the capability of the 3D mapping, I don't need the instrumentation. What I do need is to be able to see out 60 feet and find structure faster, easier and catch more fish!!!! As long as I can drop a waypoint and get within 20 feet of that waypoint, I can find it and fish it. I'll use the navionics app on my phone to help keep me out of the shallows as I run down the lake. I use it to scope out lakes anyways, along with google earth just like anyone else.

The only downfall to having different brands on the bow and console is you may not be able to link them and share waypoints between the two.

Like alpha said...research research research!! Can't stress that enough.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:05 PM

What I worry about with the Lowrance Ti is Planned Obsolescence...I say this with experience on an earlier model that died, X-5 I believe back in 2006. I read reports where people were having the units die shortly after the warranty expired. It's not VooDoo science as it occurs on a regular basis. The Elite Ti model vs the Super HD/3D Gen 3 model has a HUGE price gap...2k almost so I'm a bit gun shy dropping a grand and it going out in a year with much of the same features of the big guy for much less. Sounds like a, "bait you in" on features and then going out and then you up grade to the next high end model. I might just sit and watch this a little more before I drop bucks on a unit.

Last edited by notorious; 03-17-2016 at 09:10 PM.