FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 09-01-2014, 11:45 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "TKWalker"

Oh wow, for some reason I thought it was the Cumberland river? Still nailing down specific waterway names, but at least you must give at least half credit as the water from the Old Hickory spills into Chatham Lake. :-)
Thanks for the help TK
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile No Problem ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by >BLUEWATERSPORTSMAN> View Post
Oh wow, for some reason I thought it was the Cumberland river? Still nailing down specific waterway names, but at least you must give at least half credit as the water from the Old Hickory spills into Chatham Lake. :-)
Thanks for the help TK
Jonathan, I only bring this up because ..Yes it is the Cumberland River Chain ... Not all lakes were stocked with the same species ... For instance ...

OH was never stocked with Hybrids ... A few have locked through from Cheatham which was stocked ... It is important to know the elevation above sea level on each Fishery as well as the species it was stocked with ...

Now all of the Cumberland chain has been stocked with Stripers ... A short story ... I was fishing a Bass tourney (GABA) on Barkley in Dyers Creek back in the 70's I was using a 11 foot Lamiglass Hogging Stick ( The old timers know what I am talking about ... ) At the break of dawn you attach a shad 300 series Bomber( the one that actually looks like a bomb and are obsolete) And work the banks before you switch to plastic baits ... Well To my estimation ( the poles are rigged with 30 Pound test) I had the SXXX* scared out of me when a 25 + Striper took it, I set the hook and the war was on .. ...

You have never heard so much string Zinging in all your life !! Around the boat at least 3 times Where ever he wanted to go He went ...And when He decided to leave He/She ...Did !! Notice the * After SXXX* ... Also on Barkley ..Head of Yellow creek ... Break of dawn ... Beautiful sunrise and listening to nature The Cardinal started the Symphony of birds ... And all of a sudden I thought someone had shot a 10 Gauge shot gun at the bow of my boat !!! Water spray and my ears hurt from the concussion ... Beaver !!!!! Smacked that Tail !!! ... Sorry off subject ... Just old memories that pop up ... <'TK><
Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 AM

Nice fish. And such a wonderful day for a father and daughter.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:15 AM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "TKWalker"

Ya absolutely I do know how important this information truly is to specify fishery's while fishing them, good story wish I could have been there sounds exiting!
Thanks again TK
><SALTY>
Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 AM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "Sambolie"

I agree, on both. The fish were great, and the father daughter experience a memory of a lifetime! Thanks "Sambolie"
Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Water temp?

Regards
Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 AM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Very nice fish!

Gizzard shad or threadfins?

And always keep that PFD on below the dam!~!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "AlphaHawk"

Regrets I failed to check the water temp on my unit yesterday, sorry for the lack of reply.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "Agelesssone"

Gizzard shad were primarily the bite, but we were fishing both.
Thanks for the compliment on the fish!
Your right, Safety always comes first!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
And always keep that PFD on below the dam!~!
...unless you're providing Merv with some free advertising! Haha.

Great looking fish, Salty! Congrats!

Alex
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "AlphaHawk"

77.7'f :-)
Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "FloatNFish"

Hahaa... Absolutely hooking a friend up with a freebee.... Thanks for the compliments!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Thanks.....88 degrees below Pickwick.....huge diff.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 PM
SaltySportsmanTV

Thumbs up "AlphaHawk"

Holy smokes 10 degree difference! That is heat stroke or hypothermia difference! Now I know why you asked.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by >BLUEWATERSPORTSMAN> View Post
Holy smokes 10 degree difference! That is heat stroke or hypothermia difference! Now I know why you asked.
Two complete different fisheries for stripers. A 20 pound fish is a big deal down there. But....when the water gets right you can catch a 100 or more in a day...from the bank, from 5 to 14 pounds on a regulars basis. But that cold water on the Cumberland is the ticket for the big boys....as TK taught me. I have shown the guys that fish down there regularly some pics of the 30 plus pound fish from the Caney....and tell them of the catches you guys on the forum post about. When I tell them that is not a huge one and the Cumberland River System produces them regular in the 35 to 50 pound range I don't think they believe it. Amazing what a difference in water temps do for the growth of that specie.

Regards