FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 10-21-2016, 06:37 AM

really a great post!! congratulations, its takes a true expert to put those in the boat.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:16 AM

very very nice fish them are sooooooo much fun we used to pound them kind up north in the big lakes only catch small ones down here when the time is right . but other than that great job to you both
Old 10-21-2016, 12:06 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNfisher View Post
That's what I'm talking about Adrian!! Heck yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bout Time! Now all I want to do is go back... This working is really getting in the way of my fishin'
Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks Commdd & Massman... Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:17 PM

I've been wishing I was you for years now. I see them on sonar... I try everything in the box and nothing.... maybe a small one once in a while.

I've never tried live 9" shad before.... is this my problem ? I have a small cast net.... could you please give us a play by play on how you find and catch them ? How do you get close enough to them to catch with a 6 ft net ?

I've been able to do it on the TN river, but it seems lake shad are smarter ?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:55 PM

Shaugh, as of late it's not been that difficult to find Shad until this week when they were a little deeper. BTW, I use a 6' also. I just go to a protected cove, usually right near the ramp. You have to be very quiet! I have a Motorguide Xi5 trolling motor that I replaced the 2 blade with a 3 blade prop. When I see them flicker, I try to get to about 30' from them as fast as I can then turn the trolling motor almost all the way off and wait for some more ripples, then attack. The Bigger ones are almost always holding on the edges of grass and around docks and you only get 2 or 3 at a time. It's best if the current is flowing into the cove and there's not much wind. I try not to look in places that are more than 4' deep. Be Quite & use your Eyes and Ears. Go on a calm day to boost your confidence
Old 10-21-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaugh View Post
I've been wishing I was you for years now. I see them on sonar... I try everything in the box and nothing.... maybe a small one once in a while.

I've never tried live 9" shad before.... is this my problem ? I have a small cast net.... could you please give us a play by play on how you find and catch them ? How do you get close enough to them to catch with a 6 ft net ?

I've been able to do it on the TN river, but it seems lake shad are smarter ?
Check the backs of creeks and coves right now. Look for schools of shad flipping on the surface and ease up on them with your trolling motor. The Gizzards I find tend to be closer to the bottom so learning what bait looks like on your graph is going to be your best bet. Let your net sink and close slowly around the bait on its own. If you jerk it shut you'll come up without any bait. A 6' net will work but bigger is better due to weight/sink rate. One disadvantage to the bigger net is the smaller threadfin get caught in the holes while trying to escape and can be a pain to pull them all through.

Here is what I throw:
https://www.memphisnet.net/product/3...-mono-menhaden
Old 10-21-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Bout Time! Now all I want to do is go back... This working is really getting in the way of my fishin'
Work has put a serious damper on my fishing habit this year. Wish someone would just pay me to fish...
Old 10-21-2016, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the pointers... I'll keep hacking away at it, you can be sure of that.

On the subject of sonar, it's got to the point where I want to just turn it off. I feel like I don't trust it anymore, I've come up dry so many times... Somebody tell me what you see here... Normandy.....

Tims Ford:

Last edited by Shaugh; 10-21-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:40 PM

It looks like some panfish or bass around brush or stump.
Here's what a school of feeding stripers looks like. They were screen captures from my Lowrance.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:42 PM

When I see anything that looks like Spaghetti, I get all excited!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:23 PM

Great catch Adrian, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
These Fish were much Heavier than the look on camera. I'm just really Strong!
I've seen plenty of fish pictures in my day but you holding those two huge stripers is up there with the best. .... and I thought farmers carries were a hard exercise to do - those fish carries seem brutal

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 10-21-2016, 09:34 PM

I've seen spaghetti.... but I always thought it was a bait school... so even those larger marks on my screens are not "big" fish ? This is exactly the education I need... thanks... What does a lone big striper look like ? I suspect my ideas about size are flat wrong....
Old 10-22-2016, 12:08 AM

Adrian, that double striper pic has got to be one of the most epic fishing pictures I've seen. Awesome fish man!