FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Fishing Gear
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Aquaholic6801

Also I disagree about wiring accessories to the starting battery... I would rather have dead trolling motor batteries than a dead starting battery for what ever reason...
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Owner and Administrator

Question Answer these questions ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
Also I disagree about wiring accessories to the starting battery... I would rather have dead trolling motor batteries than a dead starting battery for what ever reason...
Harry:

1. If you don't have a trolling motor, you have a runabout etc. Where would connect the accessory wiring ??

2. Go by every new boat dealer that you know and ask them where the boat systems/acc leads are connected. ??

3. All boat Mfr.'s since 1973 Have the wiring harness designed to feed the boats systems from the main start battery ... Simply for the reason That the battery is always being charged when the main motor is running ...

4. If the demand is to high on the accessory/systems ... Run two Batteries in Parellel ..... The biggest problem that people have with marine batteries regardless of application, Start or trolling ... Is waiting to long before they replace them and mixing old and new batteries in a series or parellel configuration ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-09-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Aquaholic6801

On every boat I have ever had from cruisers, cuddy cabins run abouts and fishing boats I have always run an additional battery or batteries isolated from starting battery for accessories and put a 2 or 3 bank on board charger on them so I can just plug them up when I got back to the dock or the house....
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Yea!!! You get what you pay for .. <'TK><

Quote:
Yeah I have worked for Walmart going on 18yrs.....they are high on those CR2032s also...like $6 for 2.....the blister pack front Northern Tools usually last me a year.....
Harry, I am a Gold customer when it comes to a Northern Tool customer .. Probably get the $5/10/20 dollar discounts etc just like you ... Tools !!! Tools !!! Tools !!! Yea !!~ Thats Me !! ...

Now all Batteries are made in China ... mainly due to EPA... Tax's ... And Fees ... Do to our Brilliant Government !! ... And we won't even get in to the ECO Cars that will be coming out ... That the batteries have to be sent back to China because our EPA (rightfully so) says they are to dangerous to the environment ...(Boy what a shock to Al Gore !!!) What happened to the GM .. VOLT ... ... So where you live in Old Hickory ... I think there is a Northern tool closer to you than me in Lebanon .. I have a 50 mile round trip to buy in Murfreesboro an inferior battery off brand .. that last only one year ... Walmart Name Brands last 2 to 3 years when it comes to CR 2032's .. Plus the $$$ fuel cost to buy them ..
My experince is not good with Northern tool Batteries ... When it comes to longevity ... Now lets move on to your Tripple chargers ... Next post ...

Yea ... I understand the Blister in Blisterpack at Northern Tool ... <'TK><

Last edited by tkwalker; 02-10-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Owner and Administrator

Cool Not the normal fisherman ... <'TK><

Quote:
On every boat I have ever had from cruisers, cuddy cabins run abouts and fishing boats I have always run an additional battery or batteries isolated from starting battery for accessories and put a 2 or 3 bank on board charger on them so I can just plug them up when I got back to the dock or the house....
Harry, This post started out by a member who is looking for everyday fix'is for on going fishing and boating problems ...

This site was set up to help our boating and Fishing community who are learning and especially with the economy like it is ... To disagree about about a normal standard electrical boating configuration to me is, well less than pompus but approaching it .. because you can afford above the norm ...

Now I have used all of the above on my guide boat ... It was a business and I needed it ..AND I COULD AFFORD IT ... But to the average fisherman and beginner you are sending the wrong message ...

What is really dishearting here ... Is that we at Fishingtn.com is a community service ... And the members here try to feed good info and spend a lot of time doing it ..."and in your opinion" We are saying the wrong things ... Even though we have decades of professional and Boating experience on this site .. Now I know you are a new and a very good member with 32 post Since January 6, 2013 ... But we don't need exotics ....

I have friends that are members who own Million $$ Charter boats ... that relate to the everyday Caney fisherman, Bass, Crappie, and even Catfish ...

Please continuing to be an active member ... I really appreciate the COE drive that you have been active in ... <'TK><
Old 02-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Aquaholic6801

Well...You are correct that this is a community that shares, what works for one may not work for the other, he was looking for opinions and I gave him mine, take it for what its worth, its worked for me for a lot of years.....and might I say kept me from being stranded a few times.I may be new to YOUR Forum, but Im not new to forums, boating or fishing........

On that note you can delete my account, Ill keep up with whats going on with the COE as a lurker, but Im not going to have any body say Im pompus, or should I say on the verge of being pompus because I dont do things the way everybody else does.....
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I think with the advancements in batteries we may see the day when there will only be 1 battery in a boat that will be cranking and trolling motor together. Then combine that with the capability to recharge that 1 battery while the boat is running would be great. Maybe 1 bigger Li-Io battery instead of 1 smaller cranking and 2 smaller trolling motor batteries. Just my opinion.

Roy
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile I think so also ... <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
I think with the advancements in batteries we may see the day when there will only be 1 battery in a boat that will be cranking and trolling motor together. Then combine that with the capability to recharge that 1 battery while the boat is running would be great. Maybe 1 bigger Li-Io battery instead of 1 smaller cranking and 2 smaller trolling motor batteries. Just my opinion.

Roy
Roy, I think this is coming around the corner ... Which actually would be easy to do ... You can divide cells and taps to do whatever ... The secret here is don't overload your start battery with on going drainage or double your staying power with two batteries ... Now the battery Industry will charge $$ about the same for the one battery that they would for two ... So Other than space you won't be saving a lot ... Plus All boat Mfr's wire harness their rigs to specific locations in the boat for multiple batteries ... So this will be another obstacle ...

I have lost my Start batteries only once about 30 years ago ... reason why... Old batteries and mixed a fairly new one with an older battery ... When in a 12 VDC configuration in parellel both batteries will equalize ... and average the weaker one which will suck the life out of the better one ...

The secret is .. Keep your batteries hot at all times ... even through the off seasons ... And when you notice the first time that you seem to have slow start during a day of fishing that you usualy don't have ... Replace the batteries ... start batteries about every 3 years ... Trolling batteries with constant use ... every 2 years ... You will never be left stranded ... <
'TK><