FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default Fishing just got a little easier!

Finished putting together my Malone MicroSport XT Trailer today! Get my hitch next week and no more car topping for me...LOL. I already fish a lot but expect to do more so now.

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer100_1764.jpg (248.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer100_1765.jpg (209.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer100_1766.jpg (266.8 KB, 73 views)
Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Nice.

Is it light enough to detach and roll to the water if need be?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Whooo hoooo nice trailer. Less than 2 months after we started fishing from kayaks I decided a trailer was a must, and haven’t regretted the choice to trailer, just wish I would have chosen a different trailer. Now you can fish and paddle all day and not have to worry about cartopping at the end of the day. I was truck topping a Hobie Pro Angler on a Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 EXT Cab, and that's not fun.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Nice.

Is it light enough to detach and roll to the water if need be?
Yeah you could roll it to the water. It weighs in at 220 pounds....70 pounds more than the Yakima Rack and Roll. But it has a 350 pound payload....the Yakima has a 250 pound payload...and IMHO the Yakima is a much better trailer....but it is always about money....meaning I could not afford the Yakima. I expect this to last a long time and make my day much more enjoyable. I plan on mounting an Action Packer Box on it later.

Regards
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
Whooo hoooo nice trailer. Less than 2 months after we started fishing from kayaks I decided a trailer was a must, and haven’t regretted the choice to trailer, just wish I would have chosen a different trailer. Now you can fish and paddle all day and not have to worry about cartopping at the end of the day. I was truck topping a Hobie Pro Angler on a Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 EXT Cab, and that's not fun.
I don't know how you did it....that Pro Angler weighs a lot more than a Coosa.....and the Coosa weighs enough...LOL. For me it was not so much the placing of the kayak on the car top but the strapping...I am too short for that and if I left the straps on the saddles they would have been stolen. This summer trying to run the straps through the saddles....not being able to reach and having to use a trekking pole to push the straps through....so hot your sweating like a hog and can't see anything for the sweat in your eyes. Yes I am looking forward to next Tuesday after the hitch is on. While I have not used this trailer yet I know it will make for a much easier day.

Regards
Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Fishing TN Staff

It was a pain, and my back thanks me for it. Sarah and I would pretty well be yelling at each other. We have a hard tanneau cover so we couldn't first put it in the bed, and then go to the roof. It was just hoist it up and hope you get it on the bars the 1st time, because there usually wasn't a second time because of exhaustion. She bought them in Atlanta and had one in the bed, and one on the roof all the way here.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Alpha, Nice trailer!! Where did you get it and what was the approx cost?? I'm in the market for one that small.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodholder View Post
Alpha, Nice trailer!! Where did you get it and what was the approx cost?? I'm in the market for one that small.
I got this one from Austin Kayak for 1,397 dollars. Amazon has them at 42 bucks higher. It shipped from the factory in Maine and shipping was free. It should only take someone about 5 hours to assemble it. I took 3 days but just working a little here and there. On the MicroSport XT the tongue is retractable and it has aluminum wheels. The base trailer with galvanized wheels is 1,100 dollars. all of the reviews on this trailer are great...some folks seemed to have a problem putting it together though. Mine went together fine...nothing was missing at all. I tried to find a used kayak trailer on Craigs List and other places but could not. I wanted something I was not going to have to go out and buy supports or so on for a kayak to mount to it and this fit the bill. Plus it had to be light as I am driving a Nissan Versa.

Regards