FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 01-07-2016, 10:19 PM

Default Question for the Kayakers...

Interested in getting a kayak, but don't want to spend a lot of money as 95% of my fishing will continue to be out of my Lowe. Looking for something cheap, small, maneuverable, and easy to stuff in the back of/on top my 4Runner for fishing short trips on small rivers like the Caney and the Collins. Not going to be running any rapids - if I need to go between holes will get out and drag it.

Would something like this be ok, or would I be better off getting something bigger and/or spending more?

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/no-l...dCatid=3077453

I have only been in a kayak a few times and don't know squat about them, although I have spent a ton of time in canoes (Quetico, river trips, etc)

I am 6'3" - 230 lbs..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff
Old 01-07-2016, 10:36 PM

I am your size and don't think that would be comfortable. I had a larger sit in "fishing" kayak before my Feel Free and it killed my knees and ankles after a couple hours. The seat will hurt your back in something like that too, my old one was terrible. If that's what you are looking to spend I don't know what to recommend but I know there was a Ride 115 for sale here, that would be a great yak and for 600 bucks it's tough to beat.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 AM

To me its about comfortability,and how many hours you will be in it on a trip.If it does not have a "high quality" seat or adjustable foot holds,it will make for a frustrating fishing experience...my 2 cents
Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 AM

I would not get that kayak. You won't enjoy it. I'm a bit under 6'3" and trust me, you will not be comfortable in a sit in 8'6" kayak. You'll be cramped and have no room to move your legs or even store any gear.

This topic has been brought up many times and all of us experienced yak fishermen give the same advice and this is to spend the extra cash on a good fishing kayak. At one time I wanted to go the same route, only spending a couple hundred bucks, and I'm glad Jeremy and Chris talked me out of it. I wound up dropping about $900 on my Ride 115 a few years ago and don't regret a penny of it.

I don't doubt for a second that you can get that kayak in the water and catch fish from it but after a few trips you'll probably never want to kayak fish again. Bigger, more stable kayaks will make the trip much more enjoyable.

Also, that seat looks awful.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 01-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Default Question for the Kayakers...

There are lots of good used kayaks to be had, if you look. I recommend you go to Hook1 in Hendersonville and demo a few.

I have a 10' Native Slayer Propel and love it. But it was expensive.

Set a higher budget and you won't regret it.

But demo first!

Also you'll need a PFD and paddle if you buy new. Those will run you another $200. If buying used you can usually get those and other accessories thrown in.

Good luck.

Mike Buesing
Spring Hill, TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2016, 08:34 PM

X2 on Hook 1,also that Ride115 is a great deal.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Fishing TN Staff

Great recommendations guys.

The weight capacity on that boat is only 295lbs, and I think they might be over rating that personally. An 8'6" Sit In, is going to be very uncomfortable, and only 31" wide it's going to make it slippery, even though you are closer to the surface to the water. Add 2 rods, PFD, paddle, drinks and tackle and you'll more than likely be over the rated capacity, and that can get dangerous quickly.

Like was said above I would try to demo a few, and find what fits you comfortably, then so search for used. Like Jimmy and XxthejuicexX stated the Lure and Ride series are great kayaks and can be had for a reasonable price. tsuggs mentioned the comfort of the seat, an this is a deal breaker for me also, I have to be comfortable for it to be enjoyable.

As you are wanting something that you can car top and maneuver easily I would stay in the 11.5 - 12.5' range.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Hey guys

Thanks for talking me back off the ledge on that one. I went to Academy to look at one and they actually had a young man there that was a kayak fisherman (unlike Gander - which i hate to shop at, because nobody there ever seems to know anything about outdoor stuff). He said same here - way too small, really just for kids.

So know I am looking at the 10-11 footers. I really don't want much bigger because the places I want to fish you can mostly cast across, plus filled with rocks and blowdowns, current, etc… And there will be zero lake fishing. So that leads to a couple more questions.

Sit in or sit on top? I am leaning towards sit in because I think I need a lower center of gravity for dodging tree/rocks and such. Also I will not be in it for hours and hours - an hour in one hole would be a lot - so seating comfort is a factor but not overriding. I don't need to carry a lot of gear either as i will tailor load to the water i am fishing. Which would you guys prefer for that type of fishing?

Another question. What type of PFD do you guys wear? I got into the inflatables a few years back and that is just about all I wear anymore (unless doing watersports). But I don't think I would trust it for current/trees/rocks… Do you guys wear a standard PFD or something specific to kayaks?

Thanks again in advance.

Jeff

btw - was looking at these…

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/no-l...dCatid=1036416

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/heri...testElementId=

Last edited by JeffsLowe; 01-09-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Fishing TN Staff

If you're deadest on the sit in, I would go with the Pungo 120 or Commander 120 by Wilderness Systems. The Commander is a hybrid of sorts and has a larger opening kinda like a canoe. I know you said capacity wasn't an issue, but the Commander you can carry your gear in from of you so you don't have to reach around to a rear tankwell.

I use several different PFD's, the one I use in the warmer months and on non moving waters like lakes and ponds is an Auto Inflatable from Bass Pro, the one I use in the winter, spring, and fall or on moving waters is the NRS Chinook. The Chinook has a high back for more comfort in the kayak seat.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:09 AM

I have owned an Old Town 10ft sit inside for 4 or 5 yrs and use it when I don't have anyone going with me in the Bumble Bee. I use it everywhere but have had to add cushion to the seating so I could be comfortable on longer outings. I'm 5' 9'' and around 200 and am now looking to upgrade to a sit on top. The older I get the harder it is for me to get out of the sit inside. I don't regret the purchase 'cause it got me back into something I did a lot as a kid. Yaks are a ton of fun especially when that bigun starts dragging you around!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM

The 2 biggest kayak debates cost and sit in vs sit on.

Great advice from everyone and if money is available there is a big difference and you should spend a little more. Hook1 is a great resource. But what if you don't have the cash and it's cheap or no fishing? Stay away from sub$250 play boats like that one you will hate it. Won't hold its line when paddling, act like a ballon on the water when the wind blows. Hull material so thin you will cringe every time you land in gravel.

My first kayak was a heritage fisherman 10 foot. Loved it until someone stole it. Bass pro ascent line is a decent step up if you really can't afford the better brands. You can fish out of anything and sometimes there is a lot of pressure about the right "brand".

I like sit in. I have a native ultimate 12. I'm to clumsy for sit on top, would be dropping stuff in the water. Also like staying dryer. But they are more difficult to get in and out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 03:43 PM

DO NOT get the no limits sit in!!!!! I had one very similar to it and was terribly uncomfortable. That was the one I was talking about in my earlier post. I recommend the sit on. I Have had both styles and find it easier to fish out of the sit on. You have room for more storage and easier access to the storage. The seat is the big deal here too, make sure it's comfortable. I would recommend saving up and buying something a little nicer. I went cheap my first time and learned my lesson. I have no issue with stability with the sit on, mine is 36" wide, it's slow but stable.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 AM

I like sit on top because if you ever get into trouble and have to bail, it's easier to get out of the yak than if your legs are inside it. Also, with a sit in, if you get caught in the rain you'll be sitting in a puddle getting your pants soaked.

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff
Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM

You need to DEMO! This is a Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy debate. Only YOU can decide is a SINK or SOT works best for you.

And you want a comfortable seat, in either. Even a few hours or an hour fishing will screw your back, if your seat sucks.

Good luck!