FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > General Discussion > Sports Lounge - General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Default 1989 evinrude motor problem

I have a 1989 evinrude 90hp motor on my monark boat. It revs up real high at startup, 3000+ rpms, and levels out after half a minute or so. It also has a bad miss at anything above 2500rpm and won't hardly run. It was losing spark at first until we found a faulty fuse link, now it doesn't lose spark, but still misses. I haven't had it back on the water since fixng the fuse link, so I don't know if that completely fixed the bogging down and not takng off or not. Anyway, any suggestions on what else I need to check?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Owner and Administrator

Smile Uummmm <'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip3149 View Post
I have a 1989 evinrude 90hp motor on my monark boat. It revs up real high at startup, 3000+ rpms, and levels out after half a minute or so. It also has a bad miss at anything above 2500rpm and won't hardly run. It was losing spark at first until we found a faulty fuse link, now it doesn't lose spark, but still misses. I haven't had it back on the water since fixng the fuse link, so I don't know if that completely fixed the bogging down and not takng off or not. Anyway, any suggestions on what else I need to check?
Phillip, I don't want to seem trite on this Issue and it is an old one ... Trouble shooting problems like this over the internet is like over the phone ... It can't be done ... First off you have to see what you do have which is multiple issues here ...

Matched compression, CDI issues, Fuel flow ... Bad head gasket, (you can still have matched compression but have a blown head gasket) Letting water into the Combustion chamber as well as equalized compression ...( pull your plugs and look at the pistons at top dead center if they are clean ...water problems ... Also the plugs will tell you the same thing) Fuel line check valves ... Tank vent problems my suggestion is take it to a good reasonable honest repair shop ... My guess Carb/Fuel and CDI Problems ... Start with rebuilding the carbs/Injectors and stay away from Ethanol fuel ...

Trouble shooting outboards is like drinking a good cold Miller/Heineken in a glass bottle or a glass of scotch ... You have to hold it, Look at it, study it Lay your face up against it and listen ... and then taste it ... <'TK>< And experience helps..
Old 02-11-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwalker View Post
stay away from Ethanol fuel ...
Especially this^^^
Old 02-13-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Especially this^^^
X2...it can be a hassle to drive to the few places that offer ethenal free and ya will pay more but the benefits by far out weigh the inconvenience and added cost.