FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Default 3D Printers

I am thinking of purchasing a 3D printer to make gadgets for the boat (I am pretty proficient at 3D modeling). Anyone one the forum have experience in 3D printing?
Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero320 View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a 3D printer to make gadgets for the boat (I am pretty proficient at 3D modeling). Anyone one the forum have experience in 3D printing?

I don't. My father in law has been into rapid reproduction with the FBI forever. He just retired and went to work for a private company. Some of the stuff I have seen printed is really impressive.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 PM

Talking

Make me some lures at half price!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM

I have some experience with the Makerbot line of printers. If you can use sketch up or other 3d modeling software you should be able to use it. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Erockhouse, I am looking at the Makerbot Replicator 2X and the Seemecnc Orion Delta printer (about half the price of the Makerbot). I use Solidworks, Rhino, and sometimes Sketchup for modeling (Rhino is my favorite). Being able to use ABS is a requirement because of outdoor use of the products.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 PM

My wife taught CAD for 3 years and they got her a 3D printer the last year she was teaching. She had the makerbot (single extruder) and liked it. I know she did a lot of research and thought it was probably the best for the money. I know that she had some issues with it at times but the issues were always fixable and her favorite part about it was the support that makerbot gave to all their customers. They always gave her detailed instructions on how to fix things and walked her through the process. My wife usually does her research really well and if she bought a makerbot then I'm positive it was one of the best. I know she also mentioned that there seemed to be more kinks with the double extruder but this was almost two years ago. I'm sure they've gotten even better since then though.