FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Default The Annual Fly South Carp Tournament is Coming

Just about ten days left to Fly South's annual Carp on the Fly tournament. I'm already getting in the spirit.

If you've never gone after carp on the flyrod, you're missing out. It's tougher than you think.

bd
Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 PM

For those who are planning to enter the tourney this year or may consider it, please make your checks out to bd in advance. It makes all the paperwork go so much smoother at the end of the month.

Last edited by Travis C.; 06-19-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM

They're fun but as a south Florida native I must say.. those who say these things fight like a redfish.. have apparently never caught a redfish! haha good luck in the tournament fellas.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
For those who are planning to enter the tourney this year or may consider it, please make your checks out to bd in advance. It makes all the paperwork go so much smoother at the end of the month.
To be clear, all the entry money goes to buying all the food, beer, etc. for the party at the end of the tournament. Fly South supplies the prizes for the winners, which are always very nice.

Since the best prize is always for biggest fish, anyone who has a spot with some big carp cruising around has a fair shot.

That said, I have found a few good fish lately, and even though work is going to cut WAY into my fishing time, I'm planning on having a good year.

bd
Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 AM

I've caught both reds and carp, and the fighting style is the same, the difference is in the power and stamina...reds win, hands down. But, since redfish are hard to find in TN, i'll stick to carp. Sightfishing for tailing carp with a flyrod is awesome. Hard to describe the thrill of getting a 20 lb to eat then bolt for the horizon in 2 ft of water...harder to describe why you feel heartbroken when a "trash" fish gets off boatside.

Chris
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Saltwater fish in general fight harder pound for pound and have more stamina than freshwater fish. Not sure why. There are a few exceptions, but generally speaking it's true.

A carp on a flyrod gives an extremely respectable fight though, especially for a freshwater fish. As they get bigger, their power increases a lot. The ones over ten pounds will really work you over.

I've said in the past that carp fishing is a lot like flats fishing for redfish. I'm not talking so much about the fight. What I'm talking about is the style of fishing - sight fishing by slowly stalking down a mud flat, looking for mudding or tailing fish, and then getting a fly in front of them.

Anyway, a carp definitely fights much harder than a similar-sized largemouth - which one is the gamefish now?

bd
Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 AM

I gave up on trying to flyfish for those things. I've thrown just about every fly I have at them and had no luck. This is in the Caney, I'll commonly see 3 or 4 pretty large ones hanging around in a small area and I'll cast to them repeatedly and come up with nothing. I have caught one on regular gear and it made one nice run but other than that, it was like reeling in a boot submerged in water. Just dead weight, no fun.

Who knows, maybe the one I caught was lazy.. or hungover
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Was it a carp or a buffalo? Lots of buffalo in the Caney. Occasionally you will get a buffalo that fights hard, but a lot of them (especially the smaller ones) will barely do anything but resist being pulled. If you pull them, they'll struggle, but as soon as you release the tension they'll practically stop where they're at. It's exactly what you're talking about - just dead weight.

With carp, it seems like there are two types of fight - I don't know if it varies by individual fish or what. Some will peel off in long, hard runs and try to wrap you in every little stick within reach, and others will just lock down on the bottom and fight kind of like a catfish, making you work to pull them in but never really running.

Keep trying on the Caney fish - look for the ones that seem to be actively looking for food instead of just sunning. If you get a fly in front of a feeding fish, you can get them to take. There are some BIG carp in the Caney, but man it's tough to get within striking distance of them in that clear water.

bd

Last edited by bd-; 06-20-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Actually... I'm not too keen on distinguishing between a carp and a buffalo. It wasn't in the Caney, it was several years ago wading in a shallow part of the Stones River.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
Anyway, a carp definitely fights much harder than a similar-sized largemouth - which one is the gamefish now?

bd

Did you know carp were initially stocked throughout the country from trains as we expanded west for a means of food. They picked carp due to the fish's hardies and ability to adapt in very difference types of water.

Still can't imagine carp as food.

Last edited by Travis C.; 06-20-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM

BD, i think the reason saltwater fish fight harder is a result of a: dealing with currents/tides, and b: the fact that EVERY fish is prey for something...they have to be fast and strong or else they'll be lunch!

Chris
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 AM
MikefromMo

Definitely have to give it a shot, have a few creeks around where I live that have a bunch of carp, just haven't been able to find the biggins yet