FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Stream Smallmouth Guide

Default Old Hickory

Today I had to run and see Chris Wood at Interstaste Battery. My trolling batteries finally wore out after 3.5 years of service. You can't beat a battery that lasts that long. Any way Chris and crew set me up with two more batteries. (Oh yeah I took the boat with me) So John and I put in at Flippers around noon. ( I have not been on Old Hickory in a year plus,plus.) My plan was to check on some Bluegill beds and I could not find them on bed. So we switched to Spinner Baits and Case magic Sticks, thrown to the bank and fished out 15 feet. With the river in full flow we fished 2 of the pockets close to the Steam Plant and what I know as googoo cove. We had good numbers for the four hours we fished 27 Largemouth and 3 slab crappie. 7 of the bass measured 16 to 18 and John lost a great big fish. Old Hickory seems to be fishing great, just watch the trash line in the main channel. I may get back there after next full moon to play with the gills and shellcracker but it is wetlegging time. I will be back on Center Hill and wading the streams next week. What a great afternoon on water I fish rarely.
Mike Dial
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Nice Mike.

Those brownies in a post spawn pattern yet in the skinny waters?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Stream Smallmouth Guide

There are still some on bed but most have done there thing and heading toward there summer haunts. The Largemouth males seemed to be holding close to fry last week.If you saw fry close to trees you would catch a small male. In the wet leg skinny water the fish are on the flats and top and heads of pool. As the water heats up and the rains stop the big smallies will move to the deepest hole with oxygen and cover and food and stay all summer not moving far at all.
Mike
Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 AM

yeah can you guys help me out. I was fishing the little harpeth river today and the water was nice and clear and i could see the bottom in most places and i saw 10+ spotted and largemouth. I threw everyhting at them: lizards, flukes, spinners, worms, cranks....I could not get them to bite. One of the bigger ones was swimming around on top of this rock just circling it, and down the bank there were like 3 spotts huddled together on a rock. They were also acting kind of weird, they would like tilt on their sides and then straighten up.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:02 PM

MattC, from I my experiences if you see the fish it is tough especially in small water. You are far better off with live bait. Even then don't put it right on them but in the area letting them find it.

Small rivers and creeks with clear water tends to be long casts ahead of you with artificials unless there is cover or deep water. I still believe in any of those situations in those places a long up stream cast is better or across a riffle to a spot. That will keep you hidden.

As far as what they were doing it sounds like trying to spawn. Mike may have a better idea on the spots.

Maybe that will help some and hopefully Mike will add some of his knowledge too.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
I could not get them to bite. One of the bigger ones was swimming around on top of this rock just circling it, and down the bank there were like 3 spotts huddled together on a rock. They were also acting kind of weird, they would like tilt on their sides and then straighten up.
Those fish were guarding a bed. If you put a spring lizard imitation right on the bed, sooner or later they will try to kill it, but I tend to leave the spawning bass in the creeks alone. They aren't on bed for long and I want to maximize their success. If you pull one off the bed the bluegill can really do some damage eating eggs before they get back to guarding it.

bd