FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 06-02-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Fishing the Obey below Dale Hollow

Guys, I could use some help. I'm going up to Dale Hollow Tuesday to float the Obey and fish and I'm not familiar at all with the river conditions during generation.

Are any of you?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:15 PM

It moves fast during generation at the Dam on 2 gens the 1st mile or so. Be aware of snags and submerged trees. I fished it a few weeks ago on no generation and did well with Trout Magnets below a float directly below the Dam from a Jon boat.

If the are moving a lot of water you may want to put in at the Donalson ramp by the park and motor up to get comfortable with the flow. It gets very shallow on low water so leave time to get back if the gens shut down.

Andy
Old 06-02-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutFiend View Post
It moves fast during generation at the Dam on 2 gens the 1st mile or so. Be aware of snags and submerged trees. I fished it a few weeks ago on no generation and did well with Trout Magnets below a float directly below the Dam from a Jon boat.

If the are moving a lot of water you may want to put in at the Donalson ramp by the park and motor up to get comfortable with the flow. It gets very shallow on low water so leave time to get back if the gens shut down.

Andy
I saw where they're running 2 all day today. We'll be putting in at the ramp right below the dam and floating to Donaldson Park. If they're still running 2 is it worth trying to fish under these conditions from kayaks?
Old 06-02-2017, 02:34 PM

With that much current I would only be throwing large jerkbaits to the bank and cranking to get the lure down in the water column. Having that said that is not very enjoyable in a kayak. Especially if you get hung up in a root ball. JMO though.