FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

Go Back   FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community > Fishing Discussion > Local Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar
Google

Old 06-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default A little trolling, drifting, yesterday.

I haven't trolled or drifted for fish in years. Since the weather has been so hot I kept telling myself I wanted to dedicate a day to trolling the Midnight Blue ThunderHawk Dancer using the Micro Dancer 1/8 ounce white jig head. I started out several days saying I was going to do this but would troll a little and go back to casting. Can't do that....have to commit to the style of fishing to see what it brings. Well today at Laurel Hill Lake I stuck with the trolling and it paid off. Had the lake pretty much to myself....95 degrees today and since the Gills go deep there in summer most do not fish for them, except maybe very early morning...but even then not many do it. I caught 16 crappie all between 11-12 inches and 15 Gills all nice chunky fish. All fish were released to fight another day. Got on a stretch the crappie were stacked on so would troll over them and using the iPilot would do the same return track. Kept my speed between .8 MPH and 1 MPH. The crappie were in 20 feet of water suspended at 14-16 feet. Water temps were mid 80's. The Gills were scattered...they too seemed to like the 15 feet depth.....but stuck with the method and got into them from 10-16 feet. Had one good shellcracker. Now fishing like this is not going to produce 75 keeper fish a day...at least only using one rod.......but it sure beats catching nothing.....and it is a ton of fun as I only use one rod and am holding it in my hand so I get to feel the hit....the thump. I am going to order two single pole rod holders...one for each side of my stick steer boat.....about all I have room for.....might put two in back for a guest.....LOL. All in all a good day. Life is good!

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2554 (1).jpg (2.87 MB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2564 (1).jpg (3.18 MB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2568.jpg (1.65 MB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2570.jpg (1.73 MB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2572.jpg (2.80 MB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2573.jpg (1.91 MB, 64 views)
File Type: png S00491.png (363.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: png S00490.png (210.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 06-23-2016, 03:11 PM

Congratulations.... Nice bunch of fish.

When your catchin 'em good like that sometimes you forget about the heat

More info about Hendersonville and Old Hickory lake fishing at my site: http://myhendersonvilletn.com/
Old 06-23-2016, 04:32 PM

Sounds like a great day to me.

Sweet screenshots

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Dakota S

Nice catch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Sounds like a nice trip for the heat.

Do you have a canopy on the boat or an umbrella?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Sounds like a nice trip for the heat.

Do you have a canopy on the boat or an umbrella?
Not yet I don't.....soon I hope.

Regards
Old 06-24-2016, 10:42 PM

I installed a Bimini Top on my rig last year and it has to be one of my favorite upgrades. I choose a SunBrella top and during the mid-day heat it is significantly cooler and a really nice touch in the rain. Don't skimp on size or quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150724_095921.jpg (501.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I installed a Bimini Top on my rig last year and it has to be one of my favorite upgrades. I choose a SunBrella top and during the mid-day heat it is significantly cooler and a really nice touch in the rain. Don't skimp on size or quality.
Amen to that!
I love the bimini on my boat. I use it a lot more than i ever thought i would too! worth thier weight in gold when the sun is baking you!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Master Trout Magnet

While a Bimini is what I like I am afraid it would get in the way of fishing. Since it would not cover my front seat I could fish OK but if I had a guy in the rear seat it would be in his way for sure. Of course I could lower it if there were two of us and if by myself could always go to rear of boat to get out of sun for a while. I know Merv has one on his boat. Curious to hear how they affect casting....fishing. Thanks for the pics.

Regards

Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 PM

I generally fish by myself...there are times I must adjust my position when casting as to not touch the top. When I do fish with another person, I do not take the top and or simply lay it down retracted on the deck, it does cut some foot room out for the back deck although. I troll with the top up and have no significant problems other than making allowances for the tension straps when landing a fish. Having the top on a boat when it is blistering hot is undoubtedly the best thing next to ice water. I simply don't have the stamina I did and this is a game changer in the summer or rain. I can run 50 mph with no problems, additionally the wind doesn't push you around when deployed and/or fishing. With just two thumb screws attaching it to the boat deck it's a breeze to mount or remove. It has been one of my best modifications I have made to my boat. I do suggest buying the boot as it will be my next addition for trailering.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
I generally fish by myself...there are times I must adjust my position when casting as to not touch the top. When I do fish with another person, I do not take the top and or simply lay it down retracted on the deck, it does cut some foot room out for the back deck although. I troll with the top up and have no significant problems other than making allowances for the tension straps when landing a fish. Having the top on a boat when it is blistering hot is undoubtedly the best thing next to ice water. I simply don't have the stamina I did and this is a game changer in the summer or rain. I can run 50 mph with no problems, additionally the wind doesn't push you around when deployed and/or fishing. With just two thumb screws attaching it to the boat deck it's a breeze to mount or remove. It has been one of my best modifications I have made to my boat. I do suggest buying the boot as it will be my next addition for trailering.

Thanks for the good info. What is the "boot" for trailering?

Regards

Old 06-25-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
Thanks for the good info. What is the "boot" for trailering?
The cover for the top when it is stowed that prevents it from flapping while driving down the road. Mine did not come with one and it will be my next purchase.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
The cover for the top when it is stowed that prevents it from flapping while driving down the road. Mine did not come with one and it will be my next purchase.
Thanks.

Regards
Old 06-25-2016, 03:51 PM
nashvillefishingguides.co

Default Bimini

Randy, I never think to take a picture of my top when it's up.

It works great and is super easy to put up and take down and stow.

I got the heaviest material they offered, kinda pricey but guaranteed for ten years. It also came with the "boot". Super easy to put on.

It takes a little getting used to, having it overhead when I've never had one before, just have to remember it's there when casting.

I got the "short" version so people can cast from the front or rear deck.You can't sit under it and cast, but you do have a place to get out of the sun if you want.

Here's a surprising fact....my boat is actually faster with the top open because it creates lift, the faster you go, therefore taking some of the weight off the boat. Not much, 1.5 MPH, but I had thought it would create drag and slow it down.

It's pretty nice to be able to get out of the sun when it's 95 degrees!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Randy, I never think to take a picture of my top when it's up.

It works great and is super easy to put up and take down and stow.

I got the heaviest material they offered, kinda pricey but guaranteed for ten years. It also came with the "boot". Super easy to put on.

It takes a little getting used to, having it overhead when I've never had one before, just have to remember it's there when casting.

I got the "short" version so people can cast from the front or rear deck.You can't sit under it and cast, but you do have a place to get out of the sun if you want.

Here's a surprising fact....my boat is actually faster with the top open because it creates lift, the faster you go, therefore taking some of the weight off the boat. Not much, 1.5 MPH, but I had thought it would create drag and slow it down.

It's pretty nice to be able to get out of the sun when it's 95 degrees!
Slap a few wings on that beast and fly man!
Mervs guide service and arial tours! lol.