View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by commdd View Post
Hey Alpha I was just thinkin the other day about asking your opinion on rods and then this thread popped up. I do have one question.. if you had equivalent length rods and reels with 2# test which would cast a 1/64th oz lure better, soft tip or fast tip. thanks, always enjoy your posts. regards
You are going to get both sides of that as an answer. I have always been able to cast the Trout Magnet farther with an UL with a fast tip. I had a Shimano Compre given to me about 5 years ago. It was an UL with soft tip. I never could get any distance with that rod. When I finally started using rods with fast tips my casting distance increased. I just had a rod made for me from a 2wt fly rod blank. I wanted it to give me a good fight when I am into only 6 and 7 inch Gills. There is no doubt it will do that. I wanted it to cast as far as all the other rods I have. Standing on my front porch and using same reel and casting 7 different rods it does not cast as far as the ones with the fast tip. Now it casts far enough and it may take me a while to get used to such a whippy rod and cast it correctly. But if I could only pick one rod it would be a 7 foot UL with a fast tip. The rod I have with that microwave guide outcasts them all....it is a 6' 6" UL with a moderate fast tip. It casts like a dream. I have no clue as to what the feel of the rod will be but I sure enjoy casting with it. My goal is to be at Nickajack casting for crappie with it no later than March 1st....then I can give a good report how those guides are.

Regards