View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock View Post
Here's my 2 cents
I get you would like to work on your mending and that is definitely a worthwhile skill to have . . . that being said:
When fishing tailwater (and even wilder waters for that mater) there is a lot to be said for the strikes that are a result of drag in one way or another. Dead drifts tend to be much more important when fishing dry flies on waters with native fish. I have caught more fish on the end of my drift when drag takes the nymph higher in the water column than any other time when fishing tailwaters. The end of the drift when the nymph actually circles back and comes up quickly is a particularly effective time to get a strike.
I guess what I'm trying to get across here is that while working on mending is a good skill to have, many fish are caught while nymphing because of the effects drag has on your presentation. Embrace the drag!
Agree with this 100% -- especially if you are fishing caddis patterns; that drag often emulates that lift that a hatching caddis has because it is filled with gas and causes it to literally shoot to the top of the water column.

I've had days where the only way I was able to hook up on voraciously feeding trout was when I would go to rip the line off the water to cast and they'd smash it on the way up/out!