View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline View Post
My most memorable moment was casting a a white spinner off the dock and found I had a shad running along side and then swam around looking for it when I lifted it out of the water. I think it was love at first sight, but not so much for the bass.

I threw White grub on white spinner, white chatter, green pumpkin football jig, chrome rattle trap, red crawfish crank bait, even a rubber minnow with a fluttering curly tail and nothing... a few chasers / roll by's that I noticed.... but nothing.

The guy that went with me ? 2 big sunny's and 3 bass, 1 nice 19" on the oddest setup, but basically a jointed minnow.

Yep skunked again...

If that wasn't bad enough, I accidentally hit the trolling motor button and the blades hit the painted gunnel scratching the hell out of it. Then I have this Alba Garcia BC reel that has an attitude... My thumb slipped during a cast... it didn't backlash it didn't just bird nest... Half the spool decided it wanted off at once... I just put the rod back in the rod box and didn't bother with it til I got home. I felt like such a rookie today.

Shad must be spawning. Happened last weekend in Alabama.
I was on Lake Wilson in Alabama last weekend and at first light I made sure I was near the docks of the marina.
Double bladed white spinner bait running just below the dock floats was the ticket. Several shad trying to hump it but the big bass would come out and hammer it. Low light conditions were best, they would be done by 6:30.