View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
ALANRAYG2

Default paddlefish study

Catch and Release, Thanks for posting this on this forum.
I sent an email to TWRA comments a few days ago. Here are my concerns that I pointed out. I know some of you will disagree with me and that is ok. I really do not want our money to be spent on a study for commercial fishing. Let's improve the sport fishery. We all know TWRA is strapped for cash. Let TWRA know how you feel and the State Reps.

-----Original Message-----
To: TWRA.comment <TWRA.comment@tn.gov>
Sent: Thu, Dec 22, 2011 11:39 am
Subject: paddlefish study

Hi,
I have to make a few comments concerning the paddlefish study and commercial fishing.

A) I am against funding the study with sportfishing funds. I would rather see the money spent on the improvement of the sauger fishery or trout hatcherys. Let the commercial fishermen get the money for the study else where.

B) I do not understand how a complete population study can be made by testing a small section of water for a year or two. It seems to me this population study would be an ongoing study. Do we not study game fish regulary?

C) Undoubltly there will be game fish caught in the nets. How will they be disposed? Will they be sold? Again sportfishermen are getting the short end of the stick.

D) If my understanding is correct, the commercial fisherman will be allowed 12 gill nets up 900 feet long. That is over 2 miles of net per fisherman. I do not know the height of the gill nets. Will they be surface to bottom? Will the commercial fisherman be liable for recovering lost nets or damage to watercraft caught in the nets?

E) Lost nets will continue killing fish for decades. There will be lost nets. There are trees floating around out there.

F) Several years ago on the Tennessee River near Mousetail State Park I ha a commercial fisherman drop 2 gill nets where I was fishing. Needless to say I had to stop fishing in that area. I have to drive 90 minutes and spend around $75 to $100 a trip. Needless to say I was and am pissed that my best hole was made unfishable.

G) Where does TWRA get most of it's funding? commercial fisherman? I think the sole reason you came into existence is to manage sport fishing and later non- not sport fish. I know you must be tight on funding the regular programs. Do not allow the General Assy force you to fund this program. $741,000 is a lot of money to benefit a few commercial fisherman.

H) EPA and environmental groups have been trying to ban lead from my tackle box. How much lead is on the bottom of a lost 900 foot gill net.

In summary,
I am not willing to use my license fees to pay one red cent for a study on a commercial fishery of any sort. That funding should come from else where. Let the buyers of the eggs pay for this study.
I have a real concern for lost nets. I have lost dozens of crankbaits to lost trot lines over the years. I do not need monofiliment nets all over the lakes and rivers either. I would like to see all gill nets eliminated from Tennessee waters.

Thanks for listening
Alan Gartin