View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Master Trout Magnet

The first year I fished for trout....in a serious manner...I used a 7 foot UL with a slow tip. I missed a lot of trout with that setup. For the past couple of years I have been using a 7 foot UL with a fast tip. My catch rate has increased and I just prefer it. My reels are Shimano Stradics....1000 series.....spooled with 2# test. If you are a weekend fisherman you can get by with a Sedona 1000 spooled with 2# test. I will try out the new rod with the waveguide on the Caney but I think it may be a little too soft for trout. Seasoned trout fisherman differ on soft or fast tip. I hate missing any fish but when using a soft rod for trout it just happened too much. For the past 3 years I had my eye on a Phenix Elixir but it took me this long to get the money and pull the trigger. I am ready to hit the pond and try it out as soon as the knee is better. This is just my opinion...you will find very good trout guys that will tell you a soft tip is the way to go. tcintn uses a very soft action rod and he catches more trout than anyone I know.

Regards