View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Default The Pond "Crappie City"

Went to the Pond on the Caney today hoping for some trout or bluegill. I knew if nothing else I would get some chunky Gills and have some fun. I didn't catch a single bluegill.....not even under the water falls. I caught one brook trout and had two massive browns follow a Rapala UL #3. I paddled all over the Pond looking for fish. The sonar did not show what I thought I would see. There was a small shad kill this a.m. and a few rainbow would come up and play with the shad but wouldn't eat it. Yet down past the steps at the campground the white bass were tearing them up. In the end I found some very nice crappie and after I boated number 27 called it a day. The crappie were caught using a white Trout Magnet along with a Bison Trout Magnet. Got a shot of some big fish on bottom....maybe walleye...I don't know. I didn't keep a single fish but wish I had brought a cooler. The crappie were really nice. Talked with Janice at Big Rock and she remarked how the bluegill have been noticeably absent but said some really nice crappie had been coming out. The water temps I got ranged from 54 to as much as 62 degrees in one place but most places it was around 58 degrees. Janice told me before they turned the generators on water was 52 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S00246 Crappie.jpg (822.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg S00242 Crappie.jpg (740.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg S00234 walleye?.jpg (763.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg photo 12-13 inch crappie.jpg (1.11 MB, 133 views)