View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Owner and Administrator

Cool I think you got Hoo Dooed ..<'TK><

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
When I first bought my Crestliner VT-17 (with a Mercury 75HP 4-stroke), I had a friend with me who knows boats and he asked the dealer about supplying us with a transom saver and the dealer told us that with the trim lever (or whatever it's called, it's the swing-up lever on the left side of the motor), I wouldn't need a transom saver. Well, my friend found that a bit odd but we went with it...I happened to be going through my motor manual not too long ago to check something out and I found a paragraph which states NOT to tow the motor with only that lever as the support.

When I recently took the boat to a local boat service center (not the dealer, LOL) to have my hot foot worked on, I mentioned needing a transom saver and after looking at the way my trailer is made, especially with that light bar in the way, they suggested I take the trailer to a local welding shop and have them weld a bracket and roller on there. That seems like a pain in the butt and I can't believe Crestliner didn't figure this all into the equation...

So, to make an already long story from being even longer, I'm curious if anyone else has a similar trailer and what you're doing for a transom saver. Also, does anyone have any experience with something like this?

http://www.lock-n-haul.com/_index.php

Thanks!
Nomad ... I have run across this before ...( I don't think Crestliner had Anything to do with this trailer) I would bet that the trailer you have was a local built trailer that the local dealer you bought it from was hawking ...(lower cost to him and more profit) By your pic's I am pretty sure of that fact ... The bunk standards are made of aluminum from standard extrusions ... It was not built from a well known trailer manufacture or standard ... ...

Now I will have to check my supplier books but there use to be a motor totter out there that had a square receiver that was bolted on the cross member right above the center passage light ... An easy fix ... But most legit Trailer Mfr's went with the transom roller years ago ... I'll check in the morn when I go to my shop ... <'TK><