View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Transom Saver Question

When I first bought my Crestliner VT-17 (with a Mercury 75HP 4-stroke), I had a friend with me who knows boats and he asked the dealer about supplying us with a transom saver and the dealer told us that with the trim lever (or whatever it's called, it's the swing-up lever on the left side of the motor), I wouldn't need a transom saver. Well, my friend found that a bit odd but we went with it...I happened to be going through my motor manual not too long ago to check something out and I found a paragraph which states NOT to tow the motor with only that lever as the support.

When I recently took the boat to a local boat service center (not the dealer, LOL) to have my hot foot worked on, I mentioned needing a transom saver and after looking at the way my trailer is made, especially with that light bar in the way, they suggested I take the trailer to a local welding shop and have them weld a bracket and roller on there. That seems like a pain in the butt and I can't believe Crestliner didn't figure this all into the equation...

So, to make an already long story from being even longer, I'm curious if anyone else has a similar trailer and what you're doing for a transom saver. Also, does anyone have any experience with something like this?

http://www.lock-n-haul.com/_index.php

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2061.jpg (172.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2062.jpg (152.1 KB, 30 views)