View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchingtrout View Post
Gentlemen,

I finally sold my 2001 bass Tracker and learned that the saying about the best days of boat ownership are not true. I bought an Old Town Scanoe and want a motor for it. The boat is rated for a 4hp.
I am currently in WI where these small engines are everywhere. What are your thoughts about Johnson, Mercury... Why a new motor over an older motor? How old I'd too old are there years better than others?

I need something soon. When I return to TN I have hopes of running into our friend BD in the month long quest for big gold fish. He has the month. I have 2 weeks.
Catch, any of the new motors out there are good ... Especially the small ones you are looking for (4 HP) ... The majority of the new small motors are Japanese made ... Tohatsu makes all of the Merc's in that Range and Yamaha makes all of the Merc 4 stroke powerheads from 50 HP up. Suzuki makes a lot of Bombardier products (Johnson, Evinrude). These are all good ... for newer motors ... Stay away from the china built stuff, or air cooled, eska's some of the Sears motors, or any lawnmower based powerhead ...

As far as older motors ... my preference, do to the vast availability of parts would be OMC ... Johnson/Evinrude ... But make sure the used motor you find has a shallow position setting since this would be pertinent for a scanoe application in shallow creeks and streams ... Hopes this helps ... <'TK><