View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero320 View Post
I started out looking at the Old Town Predator XL with the Minn Kota trolling motor. In fact, seeing an advertisement for that product with the trolling motor got me thinking about a kayak. I spent a lot of time researching the internet on kayaks and discovered the Jackson Big Rig as well as trolling motor systems that might be used on a kayak. The Big Rig is 37" wide and I figured that was my best chance to not turn over. Also, Jackson Kayak is located about 25 miles from my house.

I made a visit to Caney Fork Outdoors and looked at the Predator XL and the Jackson Big Rig (as well as the Coosa, etc.). The motor unit in the Predator takes up a lot of room, especially when it is in the raised position. That convinced me that a rear mount motor would be the way to go.

As far as Hobie is concerned, they have a loyal user base so I am sure the make a good product. A good friend of mine was an Engineer at Hobie when the switch to roto-molding was made and he spoke very highly of the company. I think the Hobies may be higher priced than the Jacksons.

As far as the experience with Jackson, I could not recommend it more highly. It is a first class product and it is great to see a local company do well. The dealer (Caney Fork Outdoors) is also a first-class operation. I purchased from the location near Centerhill Dam but they also have a location in Donelson where you can see the kayaks rigged.

By the way, kayaks are Barbies for grown men (just like ARs)!