View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 AM

I have to agree with Mike. It's probably okay to mention "The Harpeth," since it's a big river and no secret.

Beyond that, I hesitate to mention specific access points on a public forum. Too many poachers and meat hunters out there who will carry fish out by the bucket load until a stretch of stream is a shadow of what it used to be.

I've mentioned the Hwy 100 access point here before as an exception, because it gets a huge amount of traffic and it's well known. On the other hand, it's probably just a fair bass fishing spot. It's actually pretty good for catfish, gar, and "rough" species, because those fish seem to migrate from hole to hole through the river system a lot (especially the catfish). However, fishing pressure in that section has depressed the bass population somewhat.

Beyond that, I tend to avoid mentioning specific spots. It took a lot of work and scouting for me to find the small-stream access points that really stand out. It's kind of frustrating when someone else names those spots online and sends a crowd of "the bucket brigade" out to concentrate on that one spot for the summer and carry the quality fish out on stringers.

Small streams just take too long to rebound from rough treatment. I have a spot on one favorite creek that got hit hard by poachers with cast nets about five years back, and it's still nowhere near as good as it used to be.

bd