View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM

I have been out a couple of times trolling Arigs and have used the Power Pro Depth Hunter line. It works very well. I have the end of the line where the colors change (in my case between the yellow and green). The color sequence is Green - Orange - Blue - Yellow. The five foot marks are very easy to see. There is a section about six inches long that is white with a one inch section that is black (centered on the white) so visibility is very good.

I have the line on four Shimano Cardiff reels, two 300A and two 400A models. They call these "poor man's Calcuttas". They cast very good and are smooth. The Convector line counter reels have larger handles and are much lower geared than the Cardiffs. Convectors are available as a non-line counter models and that might be the best reel to use with the Depth Hunter line. I have two Convectors coming back this week from repair and I may try the line on them. Could probably take the line counter mechanisms out and use the reels as simple level winds as a test.

Fishing has been very good during the past week. Went yesterday morning before the storms expecting to hammer them. The fish were no where to be found. Finally hooked one with a Urig but had the drag set too tight and the fish twisted a 5/0 Saltwater jig hook. Was about to give up and checked out one more place before the storms hit and WHAM! The fish were there. Was trolling my big fish Arig setups and had six rods out. Hooked up on all six a couple of times! Left feeding fish because of the impending storms. Waited until the last minute and wound out the 200 Verado all the way to the boat ramp. Got there just in time! Fuel flow was showing about 20 gallons/hour! That is just four gallons of fuel. A small price to pay for an additional 12 minutes of "catching"!

Last edited by aero320; 03-20-2018 at 04:52 PM.