View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
Those are some nice-sized fish. If you don't mind me asking, are you using fluoro or mono? I put some 2-pound test P-Line Fluoroclear on my ultralight reel and it breaks too easy. I may have got a bad spool but I had it breaking on me even after tying a hook on and then pulling gently on the line to test knot strength. (and yes, I did wet the line before tying the knot).
I use two brands and type of line. I use P Line CX Premium. It is great line....casts good and stays limp...is fluorocarbon coated. But knot strength is not good. I have found the best knot for it is the Fish'N Fool knot. Now I am talking about the 2# test here. In 4# test and above in that brand a simple Palomar knot will suffice.....but the 2# test in their line is so fine it cuts into a simple Palomar knot. I also use 2#...3#...4# test NanoFil line. It will cast forever but you have to use a double Polamar knot. Now I have not used NanoFil alone....I always use a 2# test fluorocarbon leader....which is a pain in the rear when you need to retie after losing a Trout Magnet. I have to put on new leaders and then the jig. The pros of the line are it will cast a country mile...is strong...no memory.... super sensitive and you can get about a year of constant use out of one spool. The cons are price....color....it frays and stay away from metal ring guides with it. Now I have exchanged several emails with NanoFil's Pro Staff and they assure me unless I am fishing for trout I don't need a leader. To be honest I don't know as I have not given it a good try without a leader. I started using NanoFil because of casting distance...and that claim about that line is not hype....it does increase your casting distance a lot. Mostly for the past year I have exclusively used the NanoFil. Yesterday I took out a rod spooled with the P Line CX Premium. I can't see either of the two lines as both are small diameter and..I am 60 years old with glasses...LOL. But switching back to the P Line for a while made me realize how much more sensitive the NanoFil is. A lot of fish had the jig and I did not know it...missed a lot with the P Line. I miss very few with the NanoFil. Now people either hate or love super lines. I know I will use it as my only line for Crappie fishing. NanoFil floats and will slow the fall rate so much on a 1/64 ounce jig over regular mono I think it helps me catch more Crappie. I don't know how long you have fished 2# test line but it took me a while to get used to it. Once I learned that it is like sewing thread and treat it as such I have no problem with it now.

regards