View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
.... I would use this as a worm/a-rig/crankbait /big swimbaits/big topwater baits.

ok go.
I would not want to throw a a-rig/big swimbait/big topwater on spinning gear and I fish spinning gear 85% of the time. You have not mentioned what spinning reel you have, IMO most common bass size spinning reels (say 2000 size) will be damaged from throwing those type lures. Unless you have a very large spooled saltwater spinning reel (high inch per turn), I would not even consider it.

That said, I look for different actions for different baits. For worm rod, I would look for a fast action rod (ie bends closer to the top). I would also go with Medium Light or Medium power (as I seldom go above 3/16 oz weight on my worms). For crankbaits up to say 3/4 oz I would go with a moderate action (bends more in the middle) in medium power. However, 3/4 oz and up in weight, I usually go baitcasting setup. A-rig (and frog) I go with fast action in extra-heavy power with A-rig closer to moderately fast and the frog closer extra-fast. Swimbaits I like a moderate action and power depends on their weight but MediumHeavy to Heavy. Big topwater I like moderately fast in mediumheavy to heavy power but like a-rigs man what a chore to turn them with spinning gear. I also like topwater rods to be shorter, standing in the boat, I typically provide action to them in a downward motion. A 7.5 ft rod is going to have the tip hitting the gunnel or be underwater.

Rods designed for inshore fishing would be your best bet at finding spinning gear that heavy, particular popping rods. I am not brand sensitive but the sub-$120 market is very competitive.

Just my thoughts, good luck on your hunt for one rod to do it all.