Thread: Blue Cat Lake
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Fishing TN Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz1 View Post
That is some good info MTKA...thanks. The used yak I bought has the anchor trolly but I have none of the anchor option you have mentioned. I would like to get a stakeout pole of about 6'. The drag chain will be a good option if I get into moving water. I will be flyfishing and I don't expect to need a deep water anchor. May I ask it there is a place locally to get a stakeout pole?
Hook1 in Hendersonville carries them in various lengths, and at a really good price also. I bought a Stick-It pin which is much more expensive, dosen't float, and not much better for twice the price of the Yak Attack brand that Hook1 carries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz1 View Post
Another question I have is why to you bring the two ends of the log chain together? I would think that if you leave the chain in full length you could more easily adjust your speed of drift.
That's just how I did it to get a double length instead of one long piece that is 5' long. The drad anchor acls acts as a keel to keep you straight and keeps you from spinning in circles. Just leave it dangling under the surface 1' or so and it will keep you facing one direction pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Jeremy,
That is great info. I am going to make a stakeout pole for my canoe. It shouldnt be too hard to do.

I could just mount a U-Bolt toward the front end (in case i am in moving water) of the canoe through the rail to slide the pole into to hold the boat.
I've seen stake out poles made from hiking poles, broom sticks, golf clubs, PVC, and many other materials.

I would go with the anchor trolley from front to rear handle, it may be too much stress on the material of your hull, and start to crack, also with the anchor trolley you could anchor from front to rear without having to move your bodies position. You can build an anchor trolley very cheaply.

Jeremy

Last edited by Reel Tune; 03-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.