View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis C. View Post
Would him adding a slight outward bend to the existing hook help out? Opening the gap so to speak?
Yes it will help Travis. That very thought was on my mind today. I caught 4 Smallies below Pickwick today. I had a 20 inch fish on and the jig head pulled out...which happens often hooking big fish with a small and short shank hook. When the hook pulled free a 12 inch Smallie grabbed it and I landed it. First time I have ever seen that....water was clear there today. Later I had hooked a massive large mouth...as I was about to net it the hook pulled free. I hooked another large mouth and when he jumped he threw the hook. Of course those hooks were not designed for bass. But I got to thinking that maybe I need to open the gap a little on those hooks. This happens with other #8 short shank jig heads I use also....not just the TM jig heads. But I wouldn't bend them too much...those hooks are steel....not wire.....I wish they were wire hooks...but I guess if they were wire I couldn't land 20 plus inch Smallies with them. But I am going to try that first thing Tuesday morning.

Regards