View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 06:34 PM

I travel frequently to fish. I have checked tackle but not rods with zero problems. I tend to not take overly expensive stuff with me on trips like this anyhow. I ALWAYS carry my rods on, I have 2 piece rods that I put into a cloth rod sleeve/holder and put them into the overhead after all of the luggage is put into the bins. At the gate and I pop up as quickly as possible and take them down before some bonehead can break them. If you don't check the tackle, pliers over 6" will be confiscated, along with any fillet knife you may forget. Be really careful about fillet knives. Years ago (like more than I want to tell) I forgot one and it was no big deal back then, but it may be an automatic expensive fine now. I am positive a pistol is an automatic fine. Post pics, love them. One thing to add, check what equipment you will be on, regional jets have tiny overhead bins, but do tend to have a closet up front for a rod. And a picky gate agent will call your rods, even if small like mine, a carry on bag. I got hit on this in Buffalo a few months ago and had to check my carry on suitcase since I had a computer bag with me for work. This is the exception though, and you usually can breeze by the gate agent with a rod or 2.