View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Default Old Hickory: What's wrong???

I have been fishing OHL (mostly bass) for about 20 years and I have to say 2016 has been the worst I can remember. You can even look at tournament results and see that something isn't right. And 2015 wasn't much better....

I like to fish for bass in many different ways: rock, wood, grass, ledges, cranking, flipping, dragging, topwater.....all have been very inconsistent and overall disappointing. Not to say there haven't been an occasional productive outing, but that has been the exception.

Not too many years ago, I could hit the ledges in June and had a number of spots I could cycle through and could count on finding fish at several stops. Now, maybe 1 fish here and 1 fish there. And if you have paid attention, few people have been out fishing the ledges this year.

So what's up? I have confirmed it's not just me.

Is it fishing pressure (there does seem to be way more tournies than ever and the population growth around the lake may be a factor)?

Did we have some bad spawns (maybe all that cold water from dam work the last few years)?

Is their a water problem (it sure was clear and bright GREEN this year)?

I am at a loss. And I sure would like to hear that the TWRA is aware and is looking into it.

Any thoughts?