Thread: 2-6-16 saugers
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 09:32 PM

Default 2-6-16 saugers

Well, i was at a crossroads friday night in determining where i should go yesterday. All things considered, i opted for new water. It was enjoyabe fishing out of my typical river comfort zone but the fish werent cooperating and after seeing my screen shots, i was close to insanity!
After pooh-poohing all over trolling in another post, thats what i was resorted to, lol. The fish did NOT want any kind of vertical presentation. Got several hard smacks on a blade but its like they were just slashing at it and not wanting to eat it. So i trolled. Fish came on some home made spinners with a hammered brass blade and red beads. (always a go-to up north when the bite got tough)
And when they hit the spinners with shiners, they crushed it! spinner deep down thier throats. Fish were tight to 25ft over a mixed bottom but mostly soft. So i would take a guess and say they were spawning.The best part about trolling though is it gives me time to throw brats on the grill! lol. Its a rough life!. The current was odd, seemed like it was on and off so maybe that threw the fish off.
The downright insane part of the whole day was every creek mouth i hit was just covered up, covered up with what im guessing were white bass. Hundreds upon hundreds of fish just staging at the mouths of creeks in and around the slack water. Looking at the screen shots, a few fish come in pretty clear and they look like whites to me. They would hit the shiners, but i think they were too big to fit in thier mouths.
The white bass are on the brink. Not sure what the next weeks weather will do with snow/rain but they are close.
I like the stretch i was fishing and will be back but it was super snaggy. Gonna have to hit Poor Boys baits at the show this weekend and re-stock. Lol.
Check out the screen shots attached and let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160206_162406.jpg (1.51 MB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 20160206_163554.jpg (1.42 MB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20160206_163423.jpg (1.78 MB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20160207_152035.jpg (733.7 KB, 124 views)