View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Default My poor experience with the boat locker service department in hermitage

I started a thread about a month ago about some boat problems I was having. Heres the link to the thread if you're interested. http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=6269

I was having starting problems and after causing myself more problems I decided to take it to a professional repair shop. I took it to the boat locker in hermitage. I had taken it there once before and they seemed to be knowledgeable and honest. Within 2 hours of dropping it off they called me and told me my lower unit was bad and it was contributing to my starter problems. They told me they could get a used lower unit for $500 which seemed fair, but then they told me it would cost an additional $400 to put new seals in the lower unit and to reinstall it. WOW¡!! They also said that wasn't including addressing my starting problems, but they had already said my lower unit was eating my starters. Huh¿ At this point I was extremely skeptical because they told me my lower unit oil looked like it had never been changed since the motor was built in 84'. I called him out on this because they had charged me to change my lower unit oil last summer. My gears were chewed up but I had just used it a week or so before with no issues. Anyway, I agree I needed a lower unit, but what lead them there? They were telling me they wouldn't put anymore money in it and I should get a new motor or trade my boat to a guy in the shop with a junky older boat that runs a little rough. I forgot to tell you about that TK. Anyway, they lied about changing my gear oil before and then tried to bend me over with the lower unit. I do hvac for a living so I understand marking up parts, overhead, etc, but they lied to me once and I payed $69 or $79 for that lie last year and they had no business in my lower unit and lied and said it was causing my starters to go bad and were going to charge me $900 for lower unit, seals, and install .(this is where that was a lie) then they said after paying $900 that wouldn't even address my starter issues. I got my boat and left.

I pm'ed Tk and told him what all the boat locker said and he told me I was definitely getting screwed and offered to help. He got me a good lower unit, went through it, pressure tested, greased and bagged the splines, printed the installation instructions for me, took time to explain everything in great detail, and painted it for $390. He also gotme a high torque starter that list for $279 for $215. I also got a added bonus from Tk, I had been wanting a ss prop, but hadnt't wanted to spend the $300. He sold me a quicksilver ss prop in good shape for $80 and polished it for me. I also got to see some of his old outboard restorations and boy is he a master of his craft. My total cost out the door with Tk was $687 and that included a new high torque starter and a good ss prop. A mechanic friend of mine helped me put it on for $50. I tested it above oh dam yesterday and it runs like a champ.

I highly recommend not taking your boats to the BOAT LOCKER and do alot of research before you trust your boat, car, or hard earned money to someone.

Last edited by nofish; 03-01-2013 at 05:33 PM.