Thread: Fill 'er up
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 PM
ALANRAYG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad60 View Post
After picking up the boat last weekend, I stopped at a gas station to fill the tank. As soon as I started pumping gas, the auto-shut off on the nozzle kicked in. So I thought that maybe the pressure on the nozzle was too high and I tried pumping slower but it still kicked right off, again and again.
The dealership is right down the road so I called them to ask what I was doing wrong. One of the guys came down and tried filling it, and he had to pump the gas so slow, that it took a good 30 minutes to fill a 24-gallon tank. He claims that almost all the new Crestliner boats do this and it's due to some air pressure or something in a new tank and from now on, it should fill up fine (if not, bring it back in, which I'd rather not do).
I looked down at the filler hose and I'm wondering if the problem is because after the hose leaves the transom, it goes down and curves, but the area where it curves is a good 2-3 inches lower than where the hose ends up going into the gas tank (see attached pic).
I did some Googling but nothing came up with Crestliner boats although I saw that in the bass boating world, I'm not alone...I sure don't want to spend 30 minutes each time, trickling gas into the tank...any thoughts?
Someone suggested I buy a 5-gallon gas can and after each trip out, I top off the boat that way since I won't be dealing with the pressure that a gas station nozzle puts out.
I am not sure but the hose being lower than the tank might be a problem if the tank is not vented. The tank has to exhaust air as the tank is filled. Otherwise the tank will pressurize and not allow the gas to flow in. I have a 1994 Bumble Bee 200 pro vee. I have to feed gas slowly or it will belch out the fill cap. I can fill a lot faster than you though. I found a gas station where I can have the bow lower than the tank fill cap. I can fill almost wide open on the nozzle. I guess the angle will let the vent to work better. Good Luck