View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Owner and Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master111400 View Post
I just purchased a Challenger Mark 2 fishing boat. The guy I purchased it from is leaving town and was to just get rid of it. It is not in perfect shape but it's not to bad. It has what I think is a mercury 900 on it. Can anyone tell me where the data plates on it are? The boat and motor if possible. Also if anyone knows a good mechanic in Clarksville TN so I can get it looked at I'd appreciate that. This is my first boat and I'm not entirely sure of what I am doing yet. My profile picture is the boat. I hope that helps.
Welcome to our site ... The vintage of a 900 is probably late 70's thru late 80's ... I don't have my books in front of me ... It appears to be (via pic) an in line 6 cyl which is 100 Cubic Inch ... which is good ... tough motors ... In another words they got .90 HP from one Cubic inch compared to the 150 HP that used the same power head that got 1.5 Hp per cubic inch ... They were strong motors (the 150's) while they ran , That was the problem top cyl starved out ... not reliable ... Then the V6 150 Black Max arrived ... No more in line 150's ... But the 115 and 90 HP In line 6's were great motors !!

Now I think at this time you will see a ID plate mounted between the clamp bracket ... Merc's ID themselves thru the S/N ... So if you can give me the S/N I can tell you what you have ... Also another help is if the boat and motor were an original combo ... look on the right rear side of the transom on the outside (Starboard) and there should be by law after 1973 a S/N of the boat molded into the glass .. The last two digits is the year the boat was Mfr'd ..

Hope this Helps ... <'TK><