View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 08:05 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
SalmonDaze - we, my son’s and I, went out with Shikari Charters, Capt. Chris Sheppard. Been going out with Chris now 5 years in a row. Limit is two red snappers each. We caught our limit (8) plus a crap ton of mingo snappers all on light tackle spinning gear 12lb test. 1 oz weights, rigged like a Carolina rig with Flouro leaders. Red Snappers were in the 65’ depth range, rigs off the bottom, dropped for a 12 second count. Easy to see the fish on his Raymarine 12” graphs. He has chicken coop reefs all over the Destin to Navarre area. Mingo’s caught on the bottom in 85’ on rock hard bottom. All with small greenie live bait and circle hooks.
PS - we ran 15 miles WNW from Destin pass for the Red Snappers. We caught a ton of Triggers which can’t be kept. Best eating fish in the Gulf.
MANY THANKS!!! I'll keep the depths noted. We'll likely be picking our way along little further west of that line. Sounds like you've got a great captain to work with . . . That makes such a YUGE difference in an outing.

I've been pretty happy with my Raymarine running wi-fi to an I-Pad; and that's how we've always had success: stop and drop.

Triggers are a pain to clean, but sure hope they open up for recreational fishing soon; like you said: the best.