View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Fishing TN Staff

They just started doing the IGFA length records about 3 years ago. You do have to buy their measuring device which is around the $50 price tag along with the IGFA membership. There are a lot of records still easily attainable by length.

I've done some reading about delayed mortality and the percentage is pretty high I think in the 35% range. Some of the weekend warriors rigs are not equipped to handle hauling fish around for 6+hrs in 90deg temps. There are special additives, and many other things that help, and the Elite Pros have the best of the best equipment and see the lowest mortality rate. BUT what happens when they are fishing beds and take the fish from the bed it's unprotected and easily accessable to predators. Then the fish is released after the weigh in miles usually from where the bed she was on, or even buck bass for that matter that are protecting the beds.

Anyone can tell me "hey I don't fish beds, well I call BS". Just because you can't see a bed dosen't mean that fish didn't come off one. Sometimes water clairity is less than 3', some fish bed in water up to 10-12' deep like some smallmouth.

I try not to keep the fish out of the water for more than a minute to one minute and a half max.

A little reading on delayed mortality.
http://www.sdafs.org/tcafs/meetings/96meet/gillilan.htm

Jeremy