Thread: Cast nets??
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM

If you are netting shad only, get a 3/8" mesh. It will sink faster and throw a little better. If you are going to use it to catch creek minnows or shiners for smallmouth, you will need a 1/4" mesh. The 3/8" mesh is no good for creek minnows because their heads will go through the holes and they'll get stuck in the net. You usually can't get them loose without killing them.

I prefer mono mesh over nylon twine mesh. The nylon twine does have a couple advantages - it is limper than monofilament, which makes it throw a little better and open and close a little better. However, mono sinks faster, and it makes for a much lighter net because mono doesn't absorb water like nylon twine does. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but believe me - if you're throwing your net a lot, you'll want the lightest one you can get. Also, mono mesh isn't as visible in the water. Some people say this makes the mono net more effective - I don't know. I mostly use my net in very shallow water, and the splashdown of the net scatters the baitfish regardless of how visible the net is. On the other hand, if you're netting bait in deep water, the visibility of the net might make a big difference.

For your first net, I'd recommend getting a 3.5' or 4' net. It will be much easier to learn with a small net. Once you get good with throwing the net, you can upsize to a 6' or larger net, and it will be more effective because you scoop up bait over a larger area.

bd