View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBronzeback View Post
So im confused. Adrian mentioned on another post that his Lowrance issue was fixed by doing a software update. Im probably gonna have to do the same thing. No biggie.
But my question is, how/why does a piece of electronic equipment that has no connection to anything require "software updates" it makes sense on a cell phone as they are new improvements. But with my Lowrance, the depth goes crazy and it freezes. Am i to believe that when lowrance programmed that unit, they essentially put an experation date on it to where it just stops working properly? Why would an update fix the problem? Why would it just start acting up?
I dont have to do updates on my tv's, vehicle, or other electronics.
Or is that just fish finders ways of sneakily fixing problems they dont make public knowledge.
I will do all the updates, im just posing the why questions for my own information.
Hey John,

I'll weigh in here, Yes Lowrance does utilize Planned Obsolescence (PO) just like SONY and HP, HP products will never be owned by me again, SONY at least sent me a patch. PO activated on my X55 after I was out of town for a few years...simply did the screen flashing fading bit and then became completely unreliable and died with very few hours on it. I called and spoke with tech and they simply suggested forget it and buy another that it was obsolete...all within 4 years. I wire my sensitive electronics directly bypassing the engine electronics so I am reluctant to believe there was power interruption that may have caused my failure. I have expressed my concern with Lowrance in the past...I believe they are attempting to correct their PO with updates to prevent brand fatigue. In contrast, I do perceive there have been numerous user errors during installations that may have lead to unit problems. The competition right now in the marine electronics is unbelievably even stacked and a few problems in any category can seriously harm a brand and with Lowrance having so many options out there coupled with the mapping software company(s) and other internal divisions they have the most to loose and the other guys are ready to gobble up the customers.