View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
Curious about the stiff tip. I know from rod building forums that an stiff internal splint and/or external over-sleeve will often lead to rod breakage above or below the repair area. I wonder if breakage will be an issue where the solid piece connects to the regular part of the blank.

I do see advantages for bite detections (sensitivity) and possible casting ease (stiff part helps give a little sling at the end of a "lob" cast), especially for ultra UL.
I thought about that long and hard. I did all my homework and felt confident to make the purchase. Did a lot of reading on British and Australian forums where they use these rods a lot. My research tells me they are a lot tougher than they look. Then when the rod got here I thought "Man this top is tiny, and it will break".....LOL. I took it out today and while I only caught 2 bluegill I was quite impressed. It is rated for 1/64 up to 1/4. That is an amazing range for a rod. I cast the 1/64 Trout Magnet with ease though. Much more fishing will be required to know if I like the rod but it is really different. It is extremely sensitive. I need to go somewhere that a lot of Gills are around...even if they are small ones...to try it out more. May try at Williamsport again tomorrow but the Gills out there may have moved out deep. The Japanese designed these "Ajing" rods.....or solid tip rods...for fish that suck in the lure rather than hit it....so it should prove great for bluegill. Hoping to try it out on trout soon also.

Regards